php,javascript what not

Started by
10 comments, last by firewall1 17 years, 7 months ago
hmm forum seems glitchy for me today... well anyways ive been working with c++ for a while now and ive really decided no matter how good ive become right now ,at this point in time c++ isnt really for me.so ive decided to bring back a past dream of mine and make a php game , i know html,xhtml,css,and the basics of &#106avascript but are php games really that popular? also im saying c++ just wasnt for me,not that it was too hard for me so dont say anything about difficulty
Advertisement
It depends on the kind of game you want to make. I wouldn't expect great gameplay from a php game, since once the page has been generated it is static (you'll have to generate &#106avascript or something to make it semi_dynamic).<br><br>What kind of game are you planning to make?
somewhat of an rpg nothing big also ive been looking on good for a free ide which lets you see what your code does in a program,not on the web because i havnt gotten the hosting or domain yet..im sorry if im sounding like a noob but im only learning the first things about php later im learning mysql sometime next semester or so.

and semi_dynamic i knew i would have to use &#106avascript to make dynamic pages but how dynamic ,i really hate that refresh every step thing php does,will it make it let me say move my character constantly without refreshing?
Quote:Original post by firewall1
somewhat of an rpg nothing big also ive been looking on good for a free ide which lets you see what your code does in a program,not on the web because i havnt gotten the hosting or domain yet..im sorry if im sounding like a noob but im only learning the first things about php later im learning mysql sometime next semester or so.

and semi_dynamic i knew i would have to use &#106avascript to make dynamic pages but how dynamic ,i really hate that refresh every step thing php does,will it make it let me say move my character constantly without refreshing?

Well no, most unlikely. It is possible to leave php script open, but the only thing it will be able to do will be outputting text to the browser (essentially). PHP is usually used in combination with a java applet, to store data in a database.

My suggestion would be: Python!. It has all kinds of extensions, even game / graphical / networking /database related. It is free and it is just great.

Greetings.
Just off your last statment id say you need to do a bit more reserach
It isn't hard to setup php and apache on your comptuer for developing your project

If you wanted to avoid refreshing, you could look at AJAX
desc taken of Wikipedia

Ajax, shorthand for Asynchronous &#106avascript and XML, is a web development technique for creating interactive web applications. The intent is to make web pages feel more responsive by exchanging small amounts of data with the server behind the scenes, so that the entire web page does not have to be reloaded each time the user makes a change. This is meant to increase the web page's interactivity, speed, and usability.
or Ruby on Rails! :)
hmm python? are you able to make an online web game with it?
Quote:Original post by firewall1
hmm python? are you able to make an online web game with it?

If you mean, 'run' it in a browser window: no. If you mean, run it locally and have it communicate with a server: yes.

For browser based: you will need something like a java applet, Flash, shockwave... I did hear some good things about Ajax, but i didn't have the time to look into it yet.
Just out of interest: is it supported on out of the box webservers (via Apache ie. like PHP) or does the provider have to set this up? And is it able to, as the poster wanted, animate a character without refreshing? Is it supported by the major part of browsers, is it a http standard? :)

Someone on this forum made his 3d engine in &#106avascript, so &#106avascript is an option for 2d rpg as well, but i doubt that it will work for multiplayer (if you were planning to), and it won't be as fast as an applet or something. <br><br>Greetings.
I hope this doesn't sound like a troll, because it is not intended to be at all. I think you are in a confused position right now. It looks like you are trying to find a tool and then figure out a game you can make with it. You should be approaching this from the opposite direction. Figure out the game you want to make, then find out what tool will suit you best.

If I have missunderstood, and you have designed your game already and just need to know if you can provide real time dynamic content using php/&#106avascript.(yes)... as mentioned earlier, AJAX is the technology you want to do more research on. XAJAX is a good php ajax library.

well my general intent is the creation of a less "advanced" game like pokemoncrater,i know it uses php.and imposotive it doesnt use java or flash or anything

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement