Pitching a game for non developers

Started by
3 comments, last by Obscure 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I'm new here, so I appollogize in advance if this post isnt exactly what these forums are made for. I read a similar post about pitching a game idea, but it didn't quite answer the questions I had in mind. I am not a game programmer, and to be honest I have no idea about all the things that go into game development. However, I do have what I think is a really good game idea. Its unique enough to be something brand new, while traditional enough to know that there would be a large active playing base. More imporantly, it would tap into a overpopulated massively multiplayer market for those who are more interested in rts/rpg type games. I am a Junior at Princeton University majoring in Economics/Finance, so like I said i have no real game development experience. But I do think I have a good idea, and if I fleshed out the game plans, the storyline and everything else, it could be alot more than just a good idea. Is this worth pursuing at all. Is there a way to get in touch with those who are experienced in developing games and work with them on the idea? From a game development perspective, how much is a good idea really worth. I know there is a lot that goes into making the idea into a game, and then finding a publisher who is interested. So like I said, is it worth fleshing out the ideas and trying to talk to developers, or is it better for me to go work on my econ homework :P Thanks anyone for your input.
Advertisement
Game Idea value = ~ 1/12 dime.

Good execution is worth significantly more than that, but you'd need to hook up with a good programmer and artist to help you flesh out the biz plan. Assuming you'd be looking at the biz angle of things, it's critical that you find people that understand the technical/artistic aspects of this. I'd also advice you to be willing to let go of design-control if you can find someone more competent.. while this may be your baby, others may have a better shot at raising it.

Also, be aware that the bulk of the MMOG market right now is saturated. Especially in the US, the cost of launching MMOGs is so high that there's little room for failure; if you look over at Korea and Taiwan you'll see a lot more intelligent genre-bending and recruitment into the MMOG community (I think GunBound and MapleStory are excellent examples of how to evolve the MMOG genre, but they also have sports-sims, RTS and FPS MMOGs). Just because every popular MMOG right now operating in the US is the bastard child of UO doesn't mean that will last forever.

Finally; be aware that people will judge you and your ideas by the way you present yourself. Even in a forum like this. I'm sure they'll run you through this at Princeton, but the first lesson of business is being professional. That includes small details like punctuation and spelling.

Good Luck,

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Hello The, you wrote:

>I have no idea about all the things that go into game development. However, I do have what I think is a really good game idea.
>I am a Junior at Princeton University majoring in Economics/Finance

OK. See the chart in FAQ 11 (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm).

>Is this worth pursuing at all.

It's worth writing your idea down. But put the majority of your energies into completing your university education.

>Is there a way to get in touch with those who are experienced in developing games and work with them on the idea?

Maybe there is, but nobody can tell you how to do something that's incredibly unlikely.

>From a game development perspective, how much is a good idea really worth.

Read FAQ 1 (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm).

>is it worth fleshing out the ideas and trying to talk to developers, or is it better for me to go work on my econ homework

That's 3 questions. The answers are:
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.

A little more about #2. Let's say you accomplish the unlikely, and convince a developer to collaborate with you on this incredibly novel and wonderful idea (I do not doubt that it's a wonderful idea). You'll still have the same problem - it still needs to have publisher money. If you don't know what the difference between a developer and a publisher is, look it up in the Game Biz Glossary (FAQ 28 - http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson28.htm).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks guys. I do appreciate it. And just to clarify something from the first reply. It wouldnt be an mmorpg, but the game play would be online. It would me much more of an RTS than anything else. Anyways, like I said, i appreciate your comments, and it was mostly what I expected. I would have been interested in the marketing angle, but maybe its something thats too much of a shot in the dark to really work on, considering its just an idea, and as the second replier said, probably not all that novel in the first place.
This is a very frequently asked question - if not the most frequently asked. There are a host of reasons why the answer is no. For a full list see http://www.obscure.co.uk/faq_idea.shtml/<a> but the short answer is that no one will be interested in your idea because there are simply too many people out there with great ideas (which actually aren't great) and it isn't economically viable to sift through the sahara of sand to find the one grain of sugar.

You could either start learning the skills you need to make the game yourself or set out on the long road to getting a games industry job so that in several years time you will be in a position to get your game made.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement