Sign in to follow this  
grill8

[.net] Simple question about stl containers.

Hello, I have a simple question about C++ stl containers. My question is: How much memory is used by an empty stl container (specifically an std::map<const char*, T> ? There are no objects in the map so there is no memory used by key/value pairs (I assume). But the container itself is stored somewhere and is thus taking up some finite amount of memory. I am just wondering how much memory the empty container is using. Thank you for your help. Jeremy

Why is this in .Net? Is this a question about a deriative of C++ like C++/CLI or C++ .Net? In native C++ the actual size depends on the implementation, but in most cases almost no memory is used. In VC++ 8.0 std::map<const char*, int> is 28 bytes in debug mode and 12 bytes in release mode. Of course this might change with other key/value types, but with all the combinations I tried the size was the same, if you want to be completely sure you need to check the source of map, then you can also account for dynamically allocated memory (this won't be a pleasant experience).

You can get the size on your on compiler by calling: sizeof(std::map<T1,T2>) where T1 and T2 is the types of the key and value.

The container takes up at least sizeof(type) bytes, and may actually use more than that internally (through dynamic allocation).

These values depend on your STL implementation, and possibly also on whether you're in debug or release mode.

Further to CTar's answer

std::map<const char*,int> myMap;
int size = sizeof(myMap);
//size = 16

std::map<const char*,double> myMap;
//size = 16

std::map<const char*,short> myMap;
//size = 16

std::map<const char*,char> myMap;