Sign in to follow this  
mako_123

Guidance for Game Programming .

Hi Guys I am new to this forum as well as the world of Game Programming so i need your advice . First of all i am good at c++ . Now i am interested in learning DirectX and openGL . CAn you suggest some good beginner books . I tried " Intro to 3d game programming with directx 9 " by Frank Luna but was unable to understand the codes properly . My questions are 1) Which language is primarily used by comapny's c , c++ or c# . 2) IS knowledge of Windows Programming reqd before doing DirectX 3) Is Data Structures also important with respect to game programming . Madhur Kapoor

Hi! Directx is made for C++ and OpenGl for C(but of course you can encapsulate the OpenGl functions). You should have a look at nehe.gamedev.net (for OpenGl programming), read some tutorials and compare it with your DirectX book. You will probably understand them much easier. You should not learn both APIs, thats not necessary.
I think that Windows programming is not necessary, as long as you don't want make difficult check boxes or combo boxes where you can choose your graphics card and such stuff. You will find a lot of "copy and paste" code to generate a standard fullscreen window.
Data structures are important when you want to write a loader for 3D objects and levels.

OpenGL for C and DirectX for C++? I don't think so... where'd you got that from? Anyway, the main difference is the OS they run on: DirectX is Windows-specific, OpenGL is multi-platformed.

Anyway, I found being familiar with at least some basics of the Windows API helpfull, although mostly only during the set-up phase, like window creation and such. I found theForger's WIN32 API tutorials a good help - combined with NeHe and other OpenGL tutorials, it was more than sufficient to get OpenGL and later, DirectDraw, up and running.

And yes, it's a good thing to know about data structures. Many games are pretty data-intensive and they require a certain performance, so choosing efficient structures is definitely a good idea.

As for what language is currently most popular, I don't think it really matters. Probably C++, but where I work, it's mostly Java at the moment, and for our next project, a mix between C, C++ and some specific API I've never even heard of before. It's much more important to understand the underlying idea's, and to be able to adapt to another environment.