Sign in to follow this  
gcs584

[web] An effective color scheme?

Hi, Well, I've recently developed a site for a local garage door company. The site hasn't been up on the web too long. I've been mostly concerned about ironing out my template. There is content on all the pages, but a lot of the layout on the pages needs to be be re-arranged with quite a few of the pictures requiring changes. Unfortunately, I was rushed into getting the site finished, so the site hardly appears as I'd like it too. Since I always receive good constructive criticism from gamedev, I was hoping that you guys could provide your honest personal opinion. I have adopted a red/black color theme for the site. The reason being was that no other related company had a similar color scheme. However, I've had quite a few criticisms already with how harsh the colors appear to be. Is that the case? I have looked at adopting other colors, but I haven't had much success with a color scheme that I think looks good. Should I keep the current colors or change? Any color recommendations? Camber Garage Doors Any tips/recommendations would be much appreciated, Regards, GCS584 [Edited by - gcs584 on September 16, 2006 11:10:42 AM]

Although the colors scheme is not the biggest factor in a viewer liking your website, in my opinion, you should consider a change. The bright red doesn't seem to match the theme of the content. The red would go well if you were making fire engines, but not garage doors. My suggestion is keep the rest of the layout the same (which by the way is looking great with simplicity), but change the red parts to a rather dark bluish green color, kinda like the one on the garage door in the pic on the index page. Also maybe make the black a bit lighter, i.e a medium-dark grey.

I think the color scheme is quite alright. Maybe ony use some design to bind the whole together. This can be as simple as making some light solid 1px borders or some simple interconnecting lines.
If you do the menu (black on white) in photoshop for instance, you can anti-alias your text, this will make it somewhat less harsh and a little more slick.

Greetings,

Eddy - Limitz
www.limitz.nl

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments thus far. They have been much appreciated.

ToohrVyk:
I'll give your recommendation a try and see how it looks. Thanks.

Verminox:
Good criticism. You make a good point about the red (and fire engines :P). I'll see what I can do with the bluish-green.

Limitz:
Another good point. I'll see what I can do in creating a more subtle transition between colors. You gave me some ideas too.

It's funny that you mention the aliased font. I've just noticed that when I was using IE. In FF, the font seems to be anti-aliased. I figured out that it was because FF was using Century Gothic while IE was using Arial. I'll have to make some much needed adjustments there - thanks.

Once again, thanks for the posts so far.

GCS584

The red and black is alright, but I can see how it would alienate some potential customers. Blue is the color psychologists have pinpointed as inspiring the trust and dependability. Any kind of home repair or service I think would definitely call for this, though it's not absolutely imperitive. I would think a good color scheme would involve earthy pastels... have a look at these colors. This is an orange based scheme with a couple blues for highlights:

#FFB200
#FFD980
#FFECBF
#AA8839
#55441C
#BFA260
#DFCEA7
#8989D9
#C0C0EC
#3C3C77