Radial blur

Started by
9 comments, last by Lord Faron 17 years, 7 months ago
I want to create radial blur postprocessing effect. Can somebody point to an exaple of how to do it? I want to process single texture with shaders. I can't find any example pixel shader fo it.
if (time() == $) { $ = 0; }
Advertisement
up...
hello,
use alphablend and draw your texture multiple times . . .

for radial blur, just rotate your textured quad around a point.
for zoom blur, just scale your textured quad around a point.

if you understand blending, you have your effect :)

JFD
_____My little engine : I.E.
Well it's not that simple. Radial blur assumes more blur further away form the center. Scaling and rednering multiple times will give the same blur amount in every point.
just from the top of my head, jou could go with the scaling and blending technique, and also map an intentsity map over each blur-pass.
By intensity map i mean something like a colormap containing a gradient which is white at the center and fades to black. This would mean to the blur, that wherever the map fades, the blurred image gets through better (to the sides, so blurring more)

oh, and also, nehe has a radial blur tutorial, if I remember correctly (lesson 36).
Quote:Original post by Lord Faron
Well it's not that simple. Radial blur assumes more blur further away form the center. Scaling and rednering multiple times will give the same blur amount in every point.

The scaling method works perfectly well - if you scale from the center of the screen this automagically gives you more blur further away from the center. Theres a simple implementation in one of the NeHe demos if you want some code to look at.
I'll try scaling method. Thanks!
Yep here is that tutorial here. I have also used it for my game title menu:

Hmmm... I was hoping it's going to look like here. Look at the screenshot: here. Notice the great detail level.
The quality is highly dependant on the number of passes you use when drawing the scaled version to the framebuffer. Using too few will show obvious banding like in DMINATOR's screenshot. You'll want to find a balance between quality and fillrate used.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement