• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ninuxw

release surface

This topic is 4452 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having troubloes when tying to free a LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 surface. I'm using visual c++ express. I'm hoping some one nows what is the problem. The code and errors are: //the line marked with the "//error" is the one #include "mapADT.h" #include <string.h> #include "d3dx9tex.h" #include "d3dx9.h" #include "d3d9.h" typedef struct{ LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 surface; int x_position; int y_position; long graphic; int blocked; int navigable; int mov_dif; int extra; }tileStruct; struct mapCDT{ char* tiles_path; long map_width; long map_hieght; int num_tiles_x; int num_tiles_y; long tile_width; long tile_hieght; LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev; LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 tilesSurf; tileStruct** tileMatrix; }; tileStruct** setTileMatrix(mapADT map); LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 getTiles(char* tile_images, LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev); char* getPath(const char* p); mapADT NewMap(const char* tile_images, int num_tiles_x, int num_tiles_y, long tile_width, long tile_hieght, LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 d3ddev) { mapADT map; if ((map = malloc(sizeof(mapADT))) == NULL) return NULL; if (((char*)map->tiles_path = (char*)getPath(tile_images)) == NULL) { free(map); return NULL; } map->tile_hieght = tile_hieght; map->tile_width = tile_width; map->num_tiles_x = num_tiles_x; map->num_tiles_y = num_tiles_y; map->map_hieght = (long)num_tiles_y * tile_hieght; map->map_width = num_tiles_x * tile_width; map->d3ddev = d3ddev; map->tilesSurf = (LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9)getTiles(tile_images, d3ddev); if((map->tileMatrix = (tileStruct**)setTileMatrix(map)) == NULL) { map->tilesSurf->Release(); //error free(map->tiles_path); free(map); return NULL; } return map; } //Errors: /* 1>.\mapADT.c(64) : error C2039: 'Release' : is not a member of 'IDirect3DSurface9' 1> C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2006)\Include\d3d9.h(1537) : see declaration of 'IDirect3DSurface9' 1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\German\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\a_game\a_game\Debug\BuildLog.htm" 1>a_game - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) */

Advertisement
The error is pretty self explanatory, IDirect3DSurface9 doesn't have any methods by the name of "Release" [smile]

If you have a look at the documentation on msdn, you can see it has a method called "ReleaseDC", is this what you are after?

All the best,
ViLiO

Hmmm... Currently I'm reading a book (begining game programming by jonathan s. harbour). In one of the chapters he makes the same. Well I just realise that example programs don't include that method, must be some mistake. Anyway, how can I free the resources the surfaces take? Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!