Sign in to follow this  

Rendering artifacts vith debug runtime

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with serius rendering artifacts when my application runs with the direct3d debug runtime. The artifacts are probobly VS related because I get strange polygones rendered at what seems like random every frame. My application uses geometry instansing to render 1000 animated agents and it seems like some polygones from some (or maybe all ploygones for some agents) are wrongly projected. I dont really know how to attack this problem because of the fact that may application runs perfectly if I use the ordinary release version of direct3d. This indicates for me that my data is right so I dont really know were to start. What are the difference between releas and debug? I thougt that the only thing that seperated them whas some output debug messages, but that dont seem to be the case. I understand that this problem is impossible for you to solve with this little information but I ask to se if there is anybody else out there that might have had the same or a simular problem and maybe can point me in the right direction. thanks

How and on what hardware are you doing instancing?

I pick up on it because ATI's older SM2 hardware supported instancing but through an API hack that the drivers listened for. The debug runtimes add in stricter parameter validation - thus if you're using any non-standard inputs then the debug runtimes might catch them. The retail runtimes won't do this and just act as a relay passing the params from the application to the driver.

The next logical thing to check would be the reference rasterizer. What do you get when you run your code against it? If the debug runtimes go wonky then it could be a sign that you've written some bad code that the driver is silently correcting/accepting. Its best to diagnose (and try to fix) these problems as soon as possible [smile]

I got caught out with exactly this problem a while back and found out about it quite late in the project which caused much frustration and a whole lot of stress [oh]

(fwiw, ATI drivers accepted HDR outputs from a ps_1_4 shader whereas the RefRast and nvidia drivers didn't, thus my app worked fine on ATI but was fubar'd on everything else [rolleyes])

hth
Jack

Im running on a geforce 6800 so it is not an ATI card.

Running against the reference rasterizer is a good idé. I have never tried that since it is so damn slow but in this case I can see the need. Thanx for the tip now I hava a place to start.

Im using 3.0 VS an this artifact happens when I use vertex textures.

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.