Sign in to follow this  

character creation process

This topic is 4111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm about create how my main character will look. She will be a female character. My plan is: 1. Take photos of a human female model from different views 2. Load photoshop and edit the photos so that they become the texture I'll splat on my female game character. 3. Model my 3D game character according to the photos. 4. Use 3DS max texture mapping tools to open up the U.Vs and move the U.V ontop of the textures well. My question is will this process give me a near AAA looking character or is there anything else I need to do? I would be glad to hear your experiences and advice on this subject. Thanx.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should model your character first, unwrap it, and then make your textures in photoshop.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
You should model your character first, unwrap it, and then make your textures in photoshop.

i second the what the ap said and that when you uvw unwrap your model it is going to take a lot more time than that if you don't want seems all over the place. take a look at this guy here, now ignore his bad proportions (he was only my third attempt at a human) you see what you get when you carefully uvw unwrap, but even then i still have seams all over the place.
a AAA looking character will take a ton of tweaking the model from all views, tweaking the texture in photoshop....etc before actually applying the texture to the model. along with modeling the human shapeyou also need to keep in mind topology such as in the guys face here, this way the model itself deforms correctly with animation. the same thing must be done for the body.

Quote:
Original post by miminawewe
Hi,
I'm about create how my main character will look. She will be a female character. My plan is:
1. Take photos of a human female model from different views
2. Load photoshop and edit the photos so that they become the texture I'll splat on my female game character.
3. Model my 3D game character according to the photos.
4. Use 3DS max texture mapping tools to open up the U.Vs and move the U.V ontop of the textures well.
My question is will this process give me a near AAA looking character or is there anything else I need to do?
I would be glad to hear your experiences and advice on this subject.
Thanx.

1. Take a front, side, back, and top (if you can) photo of your target female, wearing tight clothing, and the same for any clothing/equipment you need.
2. Model the character using the shots as image planes.
3. UVUnwrap your model.
4. Take MORE photos from different angles, and composite them together into your texture.

And you will probably have a sub-par character. Creating a good character has less to do with workflow and software than with skill and experience and knowledge. DONT expect to make a good character if you don't understand human anatomy and topology, you'll end up with (no offense) Jarrod's soldier-looking guy. Except with a much crappier texture. Photos give a very specific photo look that is generally frowned upon, unless you are doing some heavy editing (sometimes I still use photos, for things like leather, but its always a photo-texture and not just a photo I 'splat' over). Human skin definately benefits from photos as well if you don't know how to paint it, but again, it takes alot of photoshop know-how.

With each character you do, your skills will improve (as long as you are very self-critical about your work, and consciously learn things like figure drawing and anatomy), but your first half a dozen characters at least will be not so great.

Quote:
Original post by Professor420
you'll end up with (no offense) Jarrod's soldier-looking guy. Except with a much crappier texture.

lol, none taken, i know it is not correct and hell it is only my 3rd attempt at a human model, i improve drastically with each attempt.
however each time i post that picture you keep saying it is wrong but never give me any details even though i have asked before.
so this time can you maybe use photoshop and circle and explain the problem areas? this would help me since i am going to be modeling a lot of humans for a project soon and i would like to give them the best i can. you can just pm me the details since i don't want to intrude on his thread, thanks :-)

This topic is 4111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.