Sign in to follow this  

Game Loop Tutorial/Book

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been programming for quite a while and I love game programming, but everything I've done so far was stuff I came up with myself. What I have some serious troubles with is the game loop. Are there any tutorials available or maybe books that focus on programming the game loop? I'm working mostly with OpenGL and C++ so I'm looking for some tips on coding an efficient game loop in 3D. Thanx for any help!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don't think you're going to find anything Specifically for the game loop
I mean... its just a loop...
Whats the problem? you just aren't sure what to put in it?
not sure how to poll vs interrupt based inputs?
not sure how to handle framerate vs gamerate?
those have to be the only hard parts of organizing the main loop of the top of my head...

Quote:
Original post by Flawe
What I have some serious troubles with is the game loop. Are there any tutorials available or maybe books that focus on programming the game loop?

If you're having problems with the game loop, you can't be making any games. What problems specifically are you facing? We might be able to help.

As for books and tutorials, the game loop is something that's typically covered in a few paragraphs - a chapter at most. Google for tutorials, but be prepared for the overwhelming majority of them to be very poor quality simply because it's such a simple concept, and simple concepts attract tons of crap "tutorials" from people who have masted them and nothing else.

Thanx a lot for all the replies guys. I might have been a little vague when I wrote the thread. The links from Saruman and reana1 really helped so that's what I was looking after. Thanx a lot =)

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.