Sign in to follow this  

Making a MUD....

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have spent months writing a design document for a multi-user text dungeon. I would like to begin the programming phase now, however, what is the best approach at this? I would also like to note that, this really needs to be done from scratch, I have too many features that needs to be customized to use a pre-existing code base. In the process, I would like to learn a new language like C#, which might even have a job potiental for me in the future. So; say I decide to go with C#, what else will I need to learn? Winsock? Any advice/help on this matter would be useful.

Quote:
Original post by WindsDecision
I would like to learn a new language like C#, which might even have a job potiental for me in the future.

Awesome. Not only will C# likely serve you well in the professional field, but it's a fun language to learn/use, and tends to work nicely in a MUD environment (at least from my experiences!).

Quote:
So; say I decide to go with C#, what else will I need to learn? Winsock? Any advice/help on this matter would be useful.

The .NET Framework class library comes with some very handy classes to make networking a snap. Check out System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener and System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient. Additionally, a simple Google for C# sockets yields plenty of aid.

Furthermore, I'm also (often) available via MSN (listed under my profile info) for any questions or assistance you may need (given I know the answer :P). I wrote my own -- albeit small [smile] -- partial MUD base with C# a while back, so I've got a decent hold on most of the issues that'll likely crop up.

Good luck!

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.