Making a MUD....

Started by
0 comments, last by HopeDagger 17 years, 7 months ago
I have spent months writing a design document for a multi-user text dungeon. I would like to begin the programming phase now, however, what is the best approach at this? I would also like to note that, this really needs to be done from scratch, I have too many features that needs to be customized to use a pre-existing code base. In the process, I would like to learn a new language like C#, which might even have a job potiental for me in the future. So; say I decide to go with C#, what else will I need to learn? Winsock? Any advice/help on this matter would be useful.
One day, the wind will stop blowing.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by WindsDecision
I would like to learn a new language like C#, which might even have a job potiental for me in the future.

Awesome. Not only will C# likely serve you well in the professional field, but it's a fun language to learn/use, and tends to work nicely in a MUD environment (at least from my experiences!).

Quote:So; say I decide to go with C#, what else will I need to learn? Winsock? Any advice/help on this matter would be useful.

The .NET Framework class library comes with some very handy classes to make networking a snap. Check out System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener and System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient. Additionally, a simple Google for C# sockets yields plenty of aid.

Furthermore, I'm also (often) available via MSN (listed under my profile info) for any questions or assistance you may need (given I know the answer :P). I wrote my own -- albeit small [smile] -- partial MUD base with C# a while back, so I've got a decent hold on most of the issues that'll likely crop up.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement