Sign in to follow this  

triangle strip - speed boost

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have objects with 20 000 indexed triangles. how much speed boost can i expect on modern chipsets if i use triangle strips? i am sure that i am vertex shader bound. i have heard about vertex cache. is the whole vertexshaderoutput cached there (again modern chipsets) if i use indexed triangles? thanks

triangle strips are the fastest way to draw. Load them into vertex arrays and VBOs if you've got a modern card.
20,000 triangle objects - what are they exactly - seems excessive - also - you probably don't want to render all of them each frame.
What are you drawing ?

You're unlikely to see any difference at all between tri strips and strip ordered indexed triangle lists. Personally I prefer strip ordered indexed lists, since they don't require any munging of the data with degenerates or whatever, but that's really personal taste; the hardware is quite good at discarding degenerates.

Don't quote me, but I thought I read somewhere on either gamedev or opengl.org that strips may not be the fastest way to go anymore as it screws with the vertex cache being optimial? Also IIRC Nivdia likes strips more than ATI?

You won't see a *performance* difference either way with just 20K triangles. OTOH, if you're storing a bunch of big index buffers like different LODs for many objects in VRAM then you can save some memory by using strips, or if you're transferring the index buffer all the time (possibly some kind of a LOD scheme again) you can save some bandwidth. In the optimal case a strip index buffer takes just about 1/3 of the space and transfer bandwidth a triangle list would.

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.