Sign in to follow this  

clarifications needed, freelancer style camera

This topic is 4110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I remember playing freelancer on my friend's computer few years back and was very impressed by its intuitive arcadey camera system. Now that i know a little about the subject involved and would like to implement my own version of it, however memory is failing me so I am hoping someone with a copy of the game can help me out with some details. Firstly, I remember the camera system permited full 3D rotations as afforded by quaternion based cameras. I also remember that that player can change the view by simply moving the mouse, what I can't remember is whether rotation about two of the axes exhibits some residual rotation about the third axis . For example, in quaternion based camera, if you make a circular movement with the mouse, your view will also rotate about the z axis. If such residual rotations existed in freelancer then my work is complete, if not then I would interested in knowing how they corrected for this effect. any help will be appreciated Shaobo

Quote:
Original post by shaobohou
...rotation about two of the axes exhibits some residual rotation about the third axis . For example, in quaternion based camera, if you make a circular movement with the mouse, your view will also rotate about the z axis.

This effect you describe is not Specific to quaternion camera's. Matrix based camera's also do it. It is not a property of the game at all; rather it's a property of reality and 3d space...
People who play too many first person shooters forget this... because the camera in those games auto-levels to match the ground to remove the effect...

Leave it in, its normal.

Quote:
Original post by haphazardlynamed
Quote:
Original post by shaobohou
...rotation about two of the axes exhibits some residual rotation about the third axis . For example, in quaternion based camera, if you make a circular movement with the mouse, your view will also rotate about the z axis.

This effect you describe is not Specific to quaternion camera's. Matrix based camera's also do it. It is not a property of the game at all; rather it's a property of reality and 3d space...
People who play too many first person shooters forget this... because the camera in those games auto-levels to match the ground to remove the effect...

Leave it in, its normal.

thanks for the reply, I am aware that this effect is normal for any camera that allows full 3D rotation, what I was wondering is whether freelancer had some intuitive way of mitigating this effect such as gradually levelling the orientation to match the x-z plane, so to avoid confusing the player when it comes to 3D navigation.

I don't think there was.
It's been a long time since I played that game, but if it had a feature to remove the effect I would have noticed it.
(mainly because games that try to remove it, make flying a lot harder for me - loss of control=bad)

I do think however, that when switching to autopilot it would attempt to align with the general 'plane of the galaxy'. this kind of auto-leveling is a separate issue from the camera rotation coupling though.

Quote:
Original post by haphazardlynamed
I don't think there was.
It's been a long time since I played that game, but if it had a feature to remove the effect I would have noticed it.
(mainly because games that try to remove it, make flying a lot harder for me - loss of control=bad)

I do think however, that when switching to autopilot it would attempt to align with the general 'plane of the galaxy'. this kind of auto-leveling is a separate issue from the camera rotation coupling though.

thanks very much for clarifying that for me. I guess i can move on to something else now.

This topic is 4110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.