Sign in to follow this  

Need help in choosing Game Engine

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't know anything about programming. I do know how to make 3d graphics (models, objects, etc), and animations, but nothing about programming. I want to make a turn-based game on a tile based 3d world like Warcraft, Civilization 4, Neverwinter Nights. Each of the players would get a random number of moves they can make and it's up to them which tiles they move to. Each tile would trigger a particular event (I'll call these tile events). At the beginning of each turn, the tile events would be randomly placed on the tiles, so that no game is ever the same. For example, if tile #3 triggered a health bonus of 3 points, now that same event may be on tile #15. The players would not have access to what events are placed on which tiles to avoid unfair advantages. Can anyone recommend a game engine to make such a game. Again, the looks of the game would be similar to the games already mentioned above, but my main issues are the programming of the random events, and also being able to tell the computer how to know whose turn it is, making sure the player movements are on the tiles, and not being able to place the player anywhere on the map which is not a tile. It'll be a multiplayer game, so I'm not interested in AI programming. If anyone can help me with choosing a game engine I'll sure appreciate it.

That sounds like a good first project. I took my time in choosing an engine for my current project. The engine is Crystal Space. It's c++ language and under LGPL license.
You will have to decide if you want to use a scripting language. Some people start with this and find it easier. Really I don't think it's easier, but it can help with cross platform issues and the many problems with compilers.
Crystal Space has some new options for using scripting languages (instead of c++).
I won't go into side by side comparison but here are some others.
Irrlicht engine, says it's fast, I only used it years ago.
Soya, scripting language based, decent features generally, such as cal3d.
Apocalyx 0.8.7, a lot of features, at least semi scripting language based.
Blender Game engine, gets a lot of updates and really a great thing to experiment with, but there are many things I don't like. This requires no programming at all though for simple things. Usually not good multiplayer support.
Ogre, is mostly a graphics engine, seems good at what it does.

My current project is a little like you describe, with multiplayer turn based stuff, so if you have some wuestions or want some help with crystal space feel free to PM me.

Though it might be better to learn some general programming before leaping into using a game engine like CrystalSpace or Irrlicht?

The best place to start if you know nothing of programming is probably javascript. It is a lot like C, and you don't download anything or set up anything every computer already has the browser and text editor. The downside, some things are different depending on the browser. Things like: (if, while, for,) and defining functions should be the same though.

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.