[java] Java Programming, is there a future?

Started by
104 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
also, java-applets cannot be replaced by anything else in the near future.

They're already pretty much replaced by Flash.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
i think java has a future in web developement.

jsps, as an alternative to php, are quite useful.

in application developement, java imo doesn't have a future.

The only thing jsp has over php is that it can possibly reuse java code, otherwise, jsp is just a really poor, poorly supported web scripting language.

Java applets are also terrible when compared to Flash. They are much slower to load, supported less, and don't run as well in IE or Firefox. Despite the size difference, there is nothing you can do in an applet you can't do in Flash, at least with a server side language.

While I'm sure there is a place for Java, it isn't good for end user applications, at least not outside of a business setting.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Isn't the game puzzle pirates written in Java.
Quote:Original post by Arild Fines

They're already pretty much replaced by Flash.

Flashs ActionScript is horrible and doesn't compare with Java.

Quote:Original post by Zaris
Isn't the game puzzle pirates written in Java.

It is indeed.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
It seems to me that learning Java is somewhat wasteful when you can learn C# and get all the features plus some.

But that's just me.
It seems to me that learning Java is somewhat wasteful when you can learn C# and get all the features plus some.

But that's just me.

Yes, that's just you! Because all the serious business use Java!
Quote:Original post by Kevinator
If you want my opinion, I can see Java being strong-armed by C# over the next few years, after which Java will die a slow, agonizing death.

And that's based on what? Microsoft propaganda? .Net is nowhere near replacing Java, not even taking market from it. The most companies using it are those that migrated away from VB6 and MFC apps, after Microsoft discontinued it.

If .Net had any growth it was due to the migration from already existing Microsoft solutions customers.

Anyway, with .Net you are locked with Windows and Microsoft tools. The "open sore" implementations aren't suitable for Enterprise development, or any commercial development.
Quote:Original post by Dom_152
Flashs ActionScript is horrible and doesn't compare with Java.

Than you haven't seen the latest ActionScript 3.0 I presume? Or the easy interop with the .Net framework?
Quote:Original post by Promit
The real fight is Java vs .NET in the enterprise and business apps sectors. I suspect it'll eventually balance out at some level with the two being roughly level (50/50, 40/60, whatever). Things will probably end up with .NET being used in the windows arena and Java being used elsewhere -- not because of any inherent limitation of either platform but because of the idiotic stigmas that the market and the people in the markets have.

Like what? 50/50, where? I don't think it's so.

Quote:Original post by Promit
At the end of the day, there's really one answer. As with any type of development, anybody who knows only one language is useless. If you only know Java, you're a terrible programmer, end of story. (Same goes for any language.) Learn C#, learn C++, learn Python, learn Ruby, whatever. Be dynamic and flexible; a new environment should not be a culture shock but a half day of learning, followed by normal productivity.

There's no point in learning Java and then learn C#. They are almost the same! The point of learning different programming languages is to learn how to think with different paradigms, so a good choice from Java would be some scripting language (Perl, Python or Ruby) or even Lisp (this is excellent).

BTW, for any modern development anyone that doesn't know the value of tools is useless. Java is the most used platform because:

- It has a huge class library, that's a big time saver;
- It has backward compatibility;
- It has excellent tools to work with;
- It has an excellent VM;
- etc;

Somewhere around item 921:
- It has a nice language: Java

You see, the language itself it's the least of our problems. Only college students with 0 experience or some zealot of some "one true language" gives so much importance to the language in detriment to everything else.

Promit, you never give up in promoting your "C# fanboy distorted view", do you?
Quote:Original post by Saruman
Than you haven't seen the latest ActionScript 3.0 I presume? Or the easy interop with the .Net framework?

Than you have no idea of what Java is. Are you seriously comparing Flash to Java? Oh, do you know of interop with Java?

Microsoft employees have invaded this forum!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement