[java] Java Programming, is there a future?

Started by
104 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 5 months ago
http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Aldacron
Quote:Original post by Son of Cain
1. Every java developer who is sane knows that applets are cute, but they're not suitable for anything besides a few fluffy games. I know they can even open socket connections with other servers, and that they have a lot of other cool features, but please, nobody uses that to solve real problems... It locks the user to the usage of a JRE... is there anything worse than that?

There are a great many web applications which use Applets as one type of user interface via HTTP tunneling. This is especially useful for projects which also have standalone clients since it enables a great deal of code reuse. Applets aren't great for mass market consumption, no, but they are useful for, and are used for, much more than "fluffy" games.

Except that this is a 'game development forum' and in that context applets are usually insufficient for anything more than card/puzzle/2d sprite (fluffy) GAMES. (Of course there HAVE been more than a few successful 'Fluffy' games.)

Quote:Original post by Aldacron
There are a great many web applications which use Applets as one type of user interface via HTTP tunneling. This is especially useful for projects which also have standalone clients since it enables a great deal of code reuse. Applets aren't great for mass market consumption, no, but they are useful for, and are used for, much more than "fluffy" games.

I know that... I wrote it this *harsh* to address the guy who first mentioned them. It seemed that to him applets where an appliable solution to almost anything... which is not true, as you might know.

In a world of Java Server Faces and Ajax, applets can be easily dispensable, depending on your design or requirements. Nonetheless, good practices and good use of their features can result in amazing apps, I do agree.

Rodrigo

a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:Except that this is a 'game development forum' and in that context applets are usually insufficient for anything more than card/puzzle/2d sprite (fluffy) GAMES. (Of course there HAVE been more than a few successful 'Fluffy' games.)

I realize this is a game development forum. My post makes no distinction about any sort of industry. My point is that applets have found use and do find use. There's absolutely no reason why they can't find use with games. The only real hurdle is JRE market penetration, but that's only a factor depending on your target market. For mass market consumption, maybe not a hot idea, but for a particular segment of that mass market there is great potential.

I also disagree with the idea that applets are only good for those game types you mention. Things have changed since 1996. Both JOGL and LWJGL have support for applets. Both APIs allow native access to OpenGL on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Imagine that you decide to create a 3D Java desktop game using one of the APIs. Once it's done, your code will run on all three platforms without change. The only thing that requires any extra effort is packaging an installer for each platform. You decide to have both a demo and a full version of the game. But rather than providing the demo as a download, you decide to make it an applet instead. Users will be able to play the demo right on your website and you don't have to change any game code or assets beyond a few lines of code to make the game run as an applet and whatever configuration changes you need to differentiate the demo and full versions. When you start thinking of ways to incorporate the game with your website via Servlets, even more possibilites open.

Java has a lot of potential that no one has tapped yet in the game industry. We are already seeing some great Indie games using Java, but nothing that really takes advantage of some of the language's unique features. Since fluffy applets are the only applets we have really seen to date (other than Runescape), I can understand why people have the impression that they aren't good for much else. That will start to change once we see some fancy 3D applets using LWJGL or JOGL.

I think the indie games space is where Java can really shine, both in terms of game development and tools development. The Eclipse Rich Client Platform is just screaming for someone to come along and develop a robust multi-editor environment for a game engine. There's a great deal of potential for a collaborative development environment that lets a programmer update his working copy in England and let fellow team members see the results nearly instantaneously in Germany, Canada and Brazil before checking it in to the repository. Such a system could incorporate Servlets, Applets, desktop applications and JSP pages, sharing large amounts of code between them.

There's no reason that Java can't be used successfully in the game industry. It's just that very few have made the attempt.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index
Those are known to be bullshit rankings.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Anon Poster - Personally I take lessons from the game dev world back to my day job in the business app development world... and back again. All the time. To exclude yourself from different areas of development stunts what you are able to do. Many great inventions are based on taking things from one context and applying them creatively in another.

Do you really think Charles Babbage imagined that computers would be used as toys, for games of war?
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by Son of Cain
Oh, a flame war? How come it turned out to that?!?

Because whenever Java is cited in this forum a bunch of C# fanboys come like flies trying to discredit it and scare new developers away.

You can see all sorts of "funny" comments being made, and what's worst, applauded by many so called "developers".
I like C#, and I like Java.

Having said that, I think I can say something not biased about either languages:

Java. I like it a lot, and I prefer to programme in it in my freetime. I use Eclipse, and I use LWJGL and Java2D. I can create fine games in Java. I also use Java at work where I make web applications.

The pros of Java: There is a lot of support for it, free modules, community is strong and easy to get help. Documentation is great.

The cons of Java: Horrible desktop and end-user integration. I sometimes wonder why Sun hasn't put some more effort into making it seamless with the OS, like when you download a Java application, you can install it like any other application. Of course there are ways around this, but what lacks is OFFICIAL support by Sun.

C# (.NET). I've done alot of programming in it at school, and made some schoolproject applications, doing GUI applications and also web applications.

The pros of C#: Good desktop integration (on windows), fun to programme in.

The cons of C#/.net: It's not as well supported (excluding Microsoft), hard to get modules (free), and the only IDE for it costs a lot making it impossible for hobbyist to try it out. Only available on Windows.

If I were to make a commercial game, with my own money, I'd probably do it in C#, but if I were to make a game just for the fun of it, I'd use Java, less hazzle.
I spent a good 30 minutes searching if I could find a free edition of Microsoft Visual studio.

- On bit torrent there was one torrent.
- It costs $800 (professional edition) on Microsoft.com
- Could not locate it for sale at any computer store where I'm located
- Microsoft offers a 90 day trial edition...but there is a registration hazzle, and I dont know if you have to pay for delivery and material costs. Couldn't even send it to my country, not available in the list. (I'm in Iceland)

= impossible for a hobbyist like myself, that likes developing games in free time, to get a hold of Visual Studio (legally) to make C$/.net games.

Also, I couldn't install Visual Studio, free or otherwise, because I have Service Pack 1, and Visual Studio .net requires SP2. I cannot install Service Pack 2 because of license issues, although I do have a valid Windows license. Piece of ...
first google result for "free microsoft visual studio"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement