Irrlicht 2D capabilities?

Started by
1 comment, last by kburkhart84 17 years, 7 months ago
What are Irrlicht's 2D capabilities, I assume there all 3D excelerated? Does it support everything the ID3DSprite interface supports? does it support lighting? Skeweing, Scaling, Rotations? Is the Particle engine compatible with 2D coordinates or is it all in 3D? How does it store Textures, does it support self management of all the textures?
-----------------------------------------------The ZoloProject
Advertisement
To my knowledge, one of the official Irrlicht examples demonstrates using Irrlicht for 2D rendering. You should check it out.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
To my knowledge, one of the official Irrlicht examples demonstrates using Irrlicht for 2D rendering. You should check it out.

There is such an example, but it isn't very complex. I'm pretty sure Irrlicht supports several of what you mention, but I don't think you can use the ID3DSprite Interface because Irrlicht works with OpenGL/D3D or even a software renderer. 3d lighting is good, and if you make a 3d game with a 2d camera, it looks good as well. I think the particle system is fine even for 2d even if you draw it in 3d. I know for sure you can extend the source code to do pretty much whatever you need. So you could recreate the particle system class, copy the 3d version, and modify it for 2d only if you wanted to, but that might be too much work to be worth it. It think if you want 2d game play, use a 3d scene and camera and just make the camera a 2d type camera.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement