Sign in to follow this  

am i hopless in chasing my dream to be a game artist?

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

work sameple link : http://www.crosshatch.info i am confident that i am a good and competitve artist...and play, know a lot of different genre of games. i just graduated with an animation degree (2d), and have a good fine art background. I have been teaching myself Maya on and off for a while and i can model polygon models pretty good. but it seems no one would be interested to even interview me. i am talking about small developers. i am interested in concept art and character art

Looking pretty good to me, 100x better than I could ever do. Keep up the work and you can only get even better with practice.

See if you can find anyone on here looking for a modeler for their game, that might help you to push yourself to higher levels.

what is the biggest difference between a character artist and a modeler? it seems to me they are both required to model characters..or is it that modelers are required to model other things like porps and such?

also, which position am i more suitable out of concept art, character design, modeler etc?

The single biggest thing that sets artists apart is their texturing ability. The models and sketches look good but you need to paint some badass textures on them to really bring your stuff to a whole new level. Modelling is typically alot easier than texturing. If I were you I would paint some really nice textures for your 3d characters and show not only textured renders of them on the page, but also the actual texture so they can guage your UV layout skills as well. In my experience you will have a hard time if you can't texture well. If you can sketch and paintreally well you may be able to get into a concept artist position also.

DrEvil
i am planning to texture the human character model when i am done modeling. i also want to rig it and be able to animate it myself..i like to think of myself as a decent 2D animator and i would like to see how good i can do it in 3D...i do focus on modeling and texturing though.

1 question, is it better if i rig it first before i texture it? for the sake of finalizing the UV map...I watched tutorials and i am confident i can create good textures/bump/specular map with photoshop.

BLiTZWiNG
i don't mind working with an indie team just so i can get hands on experience for my resume and demo/portfolio:)

Being qualified and being hired are two very different things. In terms of your folio it definatly seems like you'd could get a games artist job and make it work no problems. So its all down to getting hired. And that is unfortunatly down to luck. Depending on the time of year, the tides, if some other game dev company has just gone bust and so there are 48 highly qualified people looking for work etc. So just keep at it as long as you can be bothered! Took me 8 months to get a job as a games programmer, and at the time it sucked but now I'm there it was worth the wait. I know other people who got hired in 3 weeks with worse marks and a crapper folio simply because they applied right when the company was desperate for employees :P Luck of the draw. Keep working on your folio, polish it to high hell and just send it to everyone in the history of the world till someone gives you a job!

The one thing that your portfolio fails to show as far as your ability to handle concept art is coloring ability. The majority of your drawings are monochrome, or made with colored inks. Take a look at ConceptArt.org and notice how color is an essential part of nearly every presentation.

I have no comment on your 3D work, as I skipped it. I have little to no interest in 3D myself at this time.

I'm just viewing the "Giving Birth" animation. It's interesting - thematically solid, and the signs of technical proficiency are there - but the drawing isn't too hot, though, as an animator myself, I can see why you'd go with a blocked out sketch style, particularly for an (early?) school project.

Anyway, you can definitely become a game artist. Shore up your coloring skills and you should have a compelling portfolio for an entry level position. (I'm trying to learn so much about paint and color theory myself, and without the luxury of formal instruction - yet. I'm hoping to take some classes at SVA in the winter or spring.) In the interim, of course, try to find commissions or get a job at an ad agency or something. Doing work to someone else's spec is a huge part of proving your value as a professional artist. Check out the "Creative" gigs section on Craig's List New York; there are occasionally requests for illustrators, artists and animators.

Good luck!

yea kaysik that's what i am doing now, whoring out my portfolio/website to developers lol (continue learning 3D too)
you gave me some really good insight on how it works in the industry though. thanks!

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.