• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lordcorm

[web] Log in System with CGI can it happen?

This topic is 4294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Absolutely, there's no reason why a CGI application cannot have a login.

I'm not totally sure about HTTP authentication though; some web servers won't pass authentication headers into CGI for security reasons.

But forms based / cookies etc should be no problem.

Mark

Quote:
Original post by lordcorm
stumped?
Me or you?

I think it was a less elegent way of writing "if you can't be bothered typing a body for your post I can't be bothered replying."

But in answer to your question, yes.

Wow, I thought PHP was CGI. If Perl is CGI what makes PHP not CGI?

Anyway, PHP with sessions is what I used. I do not use cookies but my sessions require them (you have to turn that feature on to enforce it).

CGI == Common Gateway Interface. It's a standard way of passing web requests to external programs and the output back again. CGI can be used by a variety of compiled and scripting languages, though it's most often Perl. PHP doesn't need CGI since it can talk to the webserver (usually Apache) directly, therefor doing away with some of the limitations of CGI.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!