[web] Log in System with CGI can it happen?

Started by
9 comments, last by Excors 17 years, 7 months ago
subject
Advertisement
stumped
stumped?
Me or you?
yea sure i suppose its possible...if you want password protection about as secure as an open door without a lock...
What do you think people used before PHP became pervasive?

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Absolutely, there's no reason why a CGI application cannot have a login.

I'm not totally sure about HTTP authentication though; some web servers won't pass authentication headers into CGI for security reasons.

But forms based / cookies etc should be no problem.

Mark
the bottom line here is that its possible but you should definetly use php instead
Quote:Original post by lordcorm
stumped?
Me or you?

I think it was a less elegent way of writing "if you can't be bothered typing a body for your post I can't be bothered replying."

But in answer to your question, yes.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Wow, I thought PHP was CGI. If Perl is CGI what makes PHP not CGI?

Anyway, PHP with sessions is what I used. I do not use cookies but my sessions require them (you have to turn that feature on to enforce it).
Programming since 1995.
CGI == Common Gateway Interface. It's a standard way of passing web requests to external programs and the output back again. CGI can be used by a variety of compiled and scripting languages, though it's most often Perl. PHP doesn't need CGI since it can talk to the webserver (usually Apache) directly, therefor doing away with some of the limitations of CGI.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement