Between Heaven and Hell, my new Out of This World style action-adventure

Started by
14 comments, last by James Gregory 17 years, 6 months ago
After seeing a complete dearth of freeware games of the Out of This World/Prince of Persia style variety, I decided to make one myself. Two and a half years later, the game has finally been released! Here's the official schpiel: Official Website Screenshots Vince is having a bad day. He and his fiancee Anna were sent to Limbo after being hit by a car. Unfortunately, the guys in charge screwed up, and now Anna is on her way to Hell. If Vince wants to save her from a horrific fate, he'll have to make his way through this world between Heaven and Hell, facing off against demons, robots, and the many other dangers of Limbo. Between Heaven and Hell is an action/adventure/platformer/puzzler inspired by games like Out of This World, Heart of Darkness, Prince of Persia, Flashback, Oddworld, and Blackthorne, as well as Hollywood's campiest big-budget spectacle action movies. Expect a challenge. Expect old-school 2D action. Expect fluid animation and a unique artistic style. Expect to be entertained for a good afternoon, maybe more! I've also posted a big postmortem on the game's website that chronicles the lengthy development period. Being that this is gamedev.net, I think you may find this really interesting. But be sure to play the game also, I think it turned out pretty well. :) [Edited by - Madguy on September 14, 2006 8:00:07 PM]
Advertisement
I think it looks kindof interesting. I will have to give it a shot sometime soon.
Congratulations on getting such a big project completed! You get props for doing the score in Noteworthy, I've got a soft spot for that program :-)
I would like to try it too; we'll see if I have patience for the 138MB download though...
-david
While i cant download it (im at work) but just looking at everything, i have to say congrats man. It looks like you put a lot of work into this. plus i was a huge fan of out of this world. id definitely like to give this a try. good job man!
I will have to try it out this weekend.

I read the postmortem - I found it rather interesting how long the development took. I have had an idea for a game that I have been toying around with in my head for probably the last year, and I would like to at least produce a demo of what the game would be like (along with the first few cinematic bits). After reading your article, it makes me a bit worried about how long it could take, especially if I go 3D (which I would like to do).
Yeah, I'd imagine going 3D would be a much larger undertaking than a 2D game. That's why professional games take so many resources these days.. the rise of 3D. If you're really serious about your project, here's what I'd recommend: Find the absolute most efficient way to do things well. Like I mentioned in my postmortem, I needed to do a lot of art assets for this game, and I'm not a great artist. So, I found a method using a Photoshop filter that allowed me to do stylish backgrounds rather quickly. In your case, to give an example, you could probably get by creating 3D character models in a program like Poser, which essentially does most of the work for you. I suppose the final product wouldn't be as completely personalized as you might want, but this would save you a ton of time.
Well, I finally got a chance to play a bit of the game. I find it quite interesting, but also quite difficult. Would it be possible to post the codes to the various levels? I seem to lack the coordination necessary to run through all the bolts of electricity...
this is really a cool game. im stuck at the big fan after the escaping the cell though.
Congratulations on a job well done. This is the first game from gamedev I've actually downloaded and beat (However it must be noted I don't download very often : })

Pros:
-Variety of fun puzzles
-Suspenseful when running from things
-That bit with the lasers where you run back and forth has to be noted ;D
-Perfect checkpoints! Not redoing too much and not too little
-Good presentation.

Cons:
-Controls were a bit awkward to my liking. Then again, I've never played the old PoP
-Super Cheesy Dialogue XD! I guess some people would like it though
-A bit too dark to see a couple of things
-Some puzzles were a pain with the stiff controls
-Those scenes where you're flying on that trolley thingy! XP

It's clearly evident that a lot of work was put into this. I commend you on your two year project and best of luck!
Hey, nice game, gradually working my way through it. Very reminiscent of Another World, which I last played only a few months ago (though I got stuck and couldn't finish it).

I'm definitely more interested in well tested, finished games with rather old graphics than peoples' pet 3D engines which render a collection of small chairs and a Quake model with dynamic lighting effects, I only the game I am working on will turn out to be similarly playable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement