Sign in to follow this  

Wow this is confusing

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was told this is a great place to start game design, as I could find some great resources as to learning coding... Any free things I can look at that would help me as to making my first game? I've read most of the Beginners Tutorials.

Don't worry, it gets easier once you get rolling. It's all about momentum.

In order to really answer your question, you have to answer a couple yourself. What are you looking to do with game development? Are you looking to be a game programmer, an artist, a designer, a writer, what is it that you're looking to do? Next, what type of games are you looking to create.

The second question is less important, for the moment, as even if your answer is "the world's next groundbreaking FPS!", you should first start with something small. For the moment, I'll assume you're a programmer (or at least would like to be one), and suggest you start with a pong or tetris clone. Here are some tutorials I like to throw at people:

It's a great little series aimed at teaching the reader how to program a small game using java.

And when you're ready to move on to 3D (if such a thing is your will), I'd suggest you head over to nehe.gamedev.net and follow the wonderful OpenGL tutorials there.

Again, this might not be what you're looking for, but without more information, it's probably close to what you're looking for.

And one last piece of advice: don't be afraid to ask questions. The forums here are an amazing resource, avail yourself of them. Just be sure you've done a decent bit of searching yourself, or you will find yourself regretting asking a question answered 300 times a day (like this one, as a matter of fact) when you are promptly, verbally, thrashed.

Good luck!

EDIT:
Quote:
great resources as to learning coding...

Just noticed that. So much for question one :P.

I want to learn C++, any ideas on how I can go about that.

And so you know, I also plan on writing, I love writing, and I feel as if that may be the best thing in Game Development, actually being able to write something good. But I see the most sense of accomplishment coming from C++, and have tried to find ways to learn it in the last year, but have failed to do so.

I'm using Quincy... I'm not completely clueless to game design, I just need to know more than the basics... there is an online class I'm taking that will be setup sometime tonight, and I will be able to at least have some knowledge of GD by Saturday.

I find books useful. They are more thorough than tutorials in most cases and they are handy, and you can bring them everywhere. There are also many of them, so you can probably find one that suits your needs.

And, why the rush? Also, nobody knows what you mean when you say "some knowledge".

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.