Sign in to follow this  

Do any network libraries support automatic synchronization of objects? (for 2D games)

This topic is 4105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to write a Scorched Earth type of game but I want it to be multiplayer. Ideally I'd like a 2D game engine that supports networking AND automatic synchronization of objects, but I'm not sure that exists. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Quote:
Original post by CadetUmfer
Both RakNet and TNL have features like this. Haven't used those specific features though, so I can't comment. But I've been nothing but happy with RakNet thus far.

I think he is looking for a 2D game engine. No plain network library (TNL or RakNet) will support 'automatic' synchronization. I have implemented a object synchronization method into TNL, so yes it's possible just using a networking library, but I don't see this as 'automatic'.

@ OP: You may want to look at the TGB (Torque Game Builder). It is a 2D gaming engine that supports networking. This is probably the closest you'll get to 'automatic' synchronization. TGE (Torque Game Engine) and TNL (taken from TGE) utilize a ghosting system. I am not sure if this is what TGB does, but it's a good bet that it is the same or a similar system.

You can read a bit about the ghosting concept here. You can also google for more information.

In a nutshell, the server has the main copy of the object. The object is ghosted to the clients. You use a delta compression technique to send state changes of the object (from server) to the ghost (client). With this, the client ghosted object is always 'slightly' behind the actual server object, but it provides for very good synchronization with minimal network data transfer. It also provides for a more secure networking environment when cheating is a factor.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for TGB, I already own it and it's a severly stripped-down version of TGE (for networking). It only turns turn-based networking (eg. basic tcp/ip send/receive commands).

RakNet looks really nice with the distributed objects stuff. I'm assuming I would need a physics engine to use in conjunction with this so that all physics updates were sent to each client.

Are there any physics engines (for 2D) that will let me use RakNet to keep all physics in-sync?

Also, it doesn't appear as though RakNet supports Delphi. Does any networking library support Delphi?

Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Original post by kloffy
Quote:
Original post by Doggan
I think he is looking for a 2D game engine. No plain network library (TNL or RakNet) will support 'automatic' synchronization.

Actually RakNet has a built in distributed network object system. From the documentation it looks like 'automatic' synchronization to me...

This is exactly like TNL's ghosting system, so I guess both suggested networking libraries will suffice. It appears I had a different definition of the word 'automatic' in mind. ;)

This topic is 4105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.