Sign in to follow this  

[web] Web Application

This topic is 4111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to do some software development in web applications and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some interesting ideas. The sky is the limit! The thing is, this is meant to take about 450 hours - 2 days a week for 26 weeks (it's my final year computer science project). My main worry is to select something which would finish quickly, take too long to finish or just not be challenging enough. When I think of web applications I think Ebay or those free online multiplayer games (pool?). Are these too easy or too difficult? Does anyone have any good ideas? I'd be really grateful... Basically all the projects that I've suggested to lecturers have been turned down. I don't really want to do what the lecturers have suggseted unless it's a last resort. I'm all for hard work and suggestions in other areas of software development other than the Internet would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Quote:
When I think of web applications I think Ebay or those free online multiplayer games

Those really aren't the only two types of web applications.

In case you didn't realise, this forum is a web app!

In a nutshell, if it isn't just a set of static web pages, it is a web application.

When you log in, view custom data, enter data to be used by any other computer system, or otherwise interact with a set of dynamically modified web pages, you are using a web application.

Web-based hardware configurators, such as the software your dsl/cable modem uses, are web applications. Viewing your bank account statement online is a web application. Tons of Customer Relationship Management software (CRM), Point of Sale software (POS), and other normal business applications are web apps. Paying your bills and generally buying stuff online is a web application. Requiring logging in to access a web site download section is generally a web application. The tools for managing the keycard security system for my building is a web app.

You could probably take any of your interesting projects that you have worked on in school and turn it in to a web application, then expand it a little bit to give it more dynamic functionality. All you have to do is slap an web front end on it, and keep the logic as-is in backend functionality. Assuming your UI isn't coupled with your logic, it is a very straightforward thing to do.

Hope that helps expand your ideas.

Quote:
Original post by spaceJockey123
I wanted to do some software development in web applications and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some interesting ideas. The sky is the limit!

The thing is, this is meant to take about 450 hours - 2 days a week for 26 weeks (it's my final year computer science project). My main worry is to select something which would finish quickly, take too long to finish or just not be challenging enough.

When I think of web applications I think Ebay or those free online multiplayer games (pool?). Are these too easy or too difficult? Does anyone have any good ideas? I'd be really grateful...

Basically all the projects that I've suggested to lecturers have been turned down. I don't really want to do what the lecturers have suggseted unless it's a last resort. I'm all for hard work and suggestions in other areas of software development other than the Internet would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

A few suggestions that are internet related:

1) Multi-Member blogging site similar to blogger
2) Content management system for a news site like CNN, or NYT
3) A dating site or social networking site like friendster
4) A custom forum system like here at gamedev
5) Photo or video upload site similar to youtube, or photoucket etc.
6) A basic e-commerce store, complete with shopping cart, checkout
7) A full text search engine (not a web crawler) using a keyword hashing scheme allowing data input similar to google's syntax, also add in functionality for common misspellings suggestions, and other user friendly interface features. Tie this in with a simple web site that indexes and serves articles.
8) Write an AJAX based chat client with multiple "rooms" and different membership levels.

anyway, that's a start :)

Interesting! I think I was aware of those other applications but just blocked them out of my mind. I'm quite interested in the web-based hardware configurator thing. Come to think of it now, I realized I will be doing an online auction thing in one of my modules... therefore that must mean I need to do something 3 times as difficult for my project!

Quote:
You could probably take any of your interesting projects that you have worked on in school and turn it in to a web application, then expand it a little bit to give it more dynamic functionality.

Could you give an example?

Quote:
Quote:
You could probably take any of your interesting projects that you have worked on in school and turn it in to a web application, then expand it a little bit to give it more dynamic functionality.

Could you give an example?

Not without knowing what projects you have done. [grin]

This topic is 4111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.