Sign in to follow this  

A snow/rain system: an advice

This topic is 4112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I want to make a weather effects system, concentrated at rain and snow, and I have come up with the following areas I need to dive into. Are these sufficient, or are there other areas I need to focus on? Also if you have any ides to what to cover in the different areas be free to mention it ;-) %This is an overview of what I have to look into % meshes % - static meshes % - dynamic meshes % lighting % - lighting methods(per-vertex, per-pixel) % - how to model the sun? % particle systems % - what are they used for % - generation of particles % snow rendering % - generation % - behavior % - shaders % - falling snow % - accumulation % rain rendering % - generation % - behavior % - shaders % fluid dynamics % wind systems % scene structure % - octrees % - kd-trees % collision detection % culling % - occlusion culling regards

That seems like quite an exhaustive list! Are you planning on doing full-on simulation of real-time weather or is this for something else? If it's for a game I think you might be going a little overboard (most notably with scene structure/occlusion culling/fluid dynamics) but that's just my opinion :)

Rain and snow effects can be accomplished using a fairly simplistic particle system for the most part. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't do all the other stuff you're talking about, in fact you'd probably have one of the best weather systems around if you do include all this extra stuff, but I just wanted to let you know it's not really necessary for a rain or snow system (not saying you shouldn't do it tho :))

hehe yeah I know that it is quite long the list, but I really want to make it look realistic. It is not game minded, so I can afford to go a little over the top. For now I want to get a better perspective regarding the different areas.

My plan is to make a uniform precipitation system, so I might go for the actual falling precipitation in the first place, and leave puddles and accumulation of snow until later.

regards

This topic is 4112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.