Sign in to follow this  

Enumeration Const Problems

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm once again trying another Exercise from the book "Beginning C++ Programming." The book asks me to rewrite a Menu Chooser program which was written to introduce switch statements, but this time I have to use enumeration. At this point I'm pretty conviced that it's impossible seeing as how you can't change const variables and I have to for the choosing of the options. Here is the code I have to rewrite:
Quote:
#include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { cout << "Difficulty Levels\n\n"; cout << "1 - Easy\n"; cout << "2 - Normal\n"; cout << "3 - Hard\n"; int choice; cout << "Choice: "; cin >> choice; switch (choice) { case 1: cout << "You picked easy\n"; break; case 2: cout << "You picked normal\n"; break; case 3: cout << "You picked hard\n"; break; default: cout << "You made an illegal choice.\n"; } return 0; }
Here is my code:
Quote:
//Menu Chooser #include <iostream> #include <string> using namespace std; int main() { cout << "\t Menu Chooser Program.\n\n"; enum choice {Noice, Intermediate, Advanced}; cout << "1 - Novice\n"; cout << "2 - Average\n"; cout << "3 - Advanced\n\n"; cout << "Please enter your choice:"; cin >> choice; cin.get(); cin.get(); return 0; }

enum choice {Noice, Intermediate, Advanced};

What this does is create a new type called choice.

So what you want to do, is move this definition outside the main function and then create a new variable of type choice:

enum choice {
Novice,
Intermediate,
Advanced
};

int main (int argc, char * argv[])
{
choice myChoice;
std::cout << "Choice: " << std::endl;
std::cin >> myChoice;
}

Quote:
Original post by Sarxous
The program is still getting errors on the "cin >> Mychoice;" line. Any idea why?
Since 'choice' is not a built-in type, the compiler can't find an appropriate overload for operator>>(). I don't know what the book intends to be the 'correct' solution, but one thing you could do would be to use an anonymous enum, and make myChoice a simple integer type.

My new code:
Quote:
//Menu Chooser

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "\t Menu Chooser Program.\n\n";

enum choice {Noice, Intermediate, Advanced};
choice myChoice;

cout << "1 - Novice\n";
cout << "2 - Average\n";
cout << "3 - Advanced\n\n";

cout << "Please enter your choice:";
cin >> myChoice;

cin.get();
cin.get();
return 0;
}

The Errors:
Quote:
14 invalid conversion from `int' to `main()::choice'
21 no match for 'operator>>' in 'std::cin >> myChoice'

Quote:
Original post by Sarxous
The Errors:
Quote:
14 invalid conversion from `int' to `main()::choice'
21 no match for 'operator>>' in 'std::cin >> myChoice'
Did you read my previous post?

Quote:
Original post by Sarxous
It seems I missed it. Now if you'll excuse my noobism, might I ask just what is an anonymous enumerator is?

It's the same as a regular enum, but it doesn't have a name. The values become simple integer types.

enum {Noice, Intermediate, Advanced};

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.