Fooling around in pygame (QUIT event)

Started by
7 comments, last by Fruny 17 years, 7 months ago
I justs tarted to mess with pygame and created my first program that displays an image of a monkey on the screen. My only problem is that when I exit out of the program, it freezes. Here's the program
import pygame, sys,os
from pygame.locals import *
pygame.init()
window = pygame.display.set_mode((468, 600))
pygame.display.set_caption('Monkey Fever')
screen = pygame.display.get_surface()
monkey_head_file_name = os.path.join("data","chimp.bmp")
monkey_surface = pygame.image.load(monkey_head_file_name)
screen.blit(monkey_surface, (35,0))
pygame.display.flip()

def input(events): 
   for event in events: 
      if event.type == QUIT: 
         sys.exit(0) 
      else: 
         print event

while True: 
   input(pygame.event.get()) 

Here's the error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "E:/Documents and Settings/Kev/Desktop/pygame-1.7.1release/pygame-1.7.1release/examples/monkeyhead.py", line 20, in -toplevel- input(pygame.event.get()) File "E:/Documents and Settings/Kev/Desktop/pygame-1.7.1release/pygame-1.7.1release/examples/monkeyhead.py", line 15, in input sys.exit(0) SystemExit: 0 Also, where can I find a list of acceptable events so I can do a sys.exit(0) when a certain event happens?
Advertisement
You need to shut down pygame properly on exit, not doing so has caused my code to freeze in the past. Something like this is recommended:
try:   pygame.init()   main()finally:   pygame.quit()

You can find an event list here (scroll down), or use the Python dir() function to look for likely candidates.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Try sys.exit() instead of sys.exit(0)

Has for the event list try reading the documentation in the pygame site, under event...
Programming is easy, just copy/paste tutorials...
Quote:Original post by Kainnvin
Try sys.exit() instead of sys.exit(0)

sys.exit() has 0 as a default parameter. The program return value shouldn't affect the program cleanup in any way anyway.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny

sys.exit() has 0 as a default parameter. The program return value shouldn't affect the program cleanup in any way anyway.

Good point.

About the pygame.quit() I never use it and the documentation even says
Quote:
When the Python interpreter shuts down, this method is called regardless, so your program should not need it, except when it wants to terminate its pygame resources and continue.

So I'am at a loss
Programming is easy, just copy/paste tutorials...
Just using pygame.quit() gives me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:/Documents and Settings/Kev/Desktop/pygame-1.7.1release/pygame-1.7.1release/examples/monkeyhead.py", line 20, in -toplevel-
input(pygame.event.get())
error: video system not initialized

EDIT: Ok I found that the keydown event is:

KEYDOWN unicode, key, mod

I tested the 's' key and found:

<Event(2-KeyDown {'key': 115, 'unicode': u's', 'mod': 0})>

Whats the proper way to write this type of event in actual code?
Quote:
About the pygame.quit() I never use it and the documentation even says
Quote:When the Python interpreter shuts down, this method is called regardless, so your program should not need it, except when it wants to terminate its pygame resources and continue.

So I'am at a loss

Not calling pygame.quit() causes problems when you're debugging your code in an IDE.

Quote:Original post by kevtimc
Just using pygame.quit() gives me this error:

pygame.quit() doesn't terminate the program. It shuts down Pygame.

Quote:Whats the proper way to write this type of event in actual code?

Test its type and key members.
Well I got the KEYDOWN event to work, and I guess everyone is stuck on how to quit the app. [lol] I have a question, an if statement will only let you move the chimp right once, how does one create the program so that you can constantly let the chimp move in the desired direction (more than once)?
Quote:Original post by kevtimc
Well I got the KEYDOWN event to work, and I guess everyone is stuck on how to quit the app. [lol] I have a question, an if statement will only let you move the chimp right once, how does one create the program so that you can constantly let the chimp move in the desired direction (more than once)?

With a while loop. Quit the application by setting the loop control variable to False.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement