Sign in to follow this  

file I/O and structs in C problem

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

alright, i have a simple struct--- typedef struct studentRecord { char firstName[20]; char lastName[20]; int ID; Course* courseInfo; // pointer to allocated course information } Student; and where Course is another struct (typedef struct courseInfo) with other arbitrary members. I have a text file that i want to read with fscanf, and the structure of that file is just "name name number number" ex( josh howard 5432 30); I allocated the memory for an array of Students. And all i seem to not be able to do is read from the file a quiz grade and store it to Quiz[10] in the Course struct. For instance, I can read in 2 strings and a number from student (first name, last name, ID) but when i try to put the last number into a quiz[] array in Course, the program freezes. for (i = 0; i < numberOfRecords; i++) { while( fscanf("%s %s %d", &studentArray[i].lastName, &studentArray[i].firstName, &studentArray[i].ID)== 3){ do whatever } } // works fine but... for (i = 0; i < numberOfRecords; i++) { while( fscanf("%s %s %d %d", &studentArray[i].lastName, &studentArray[i].firstName, &studentArray[i].ID, &studentArray[i].courseInfo->Quiz[0])== 4){ do whatever } } // freezes the file that it is reading from is not the problem, but i cant figure out what is and im sure its an easy one.

Before you call fscanf, did you allocate some memory for studentArray[i]->courseInfo? fscanf will not allocate memory for you.

something like:

studentArray[i].courseInfo = (Course*)malloc(sizeof(Course)*MAX_COURSES);
while (fscanf(.......) ) { }

or

studentArray[i].couuseInfo = new Course[MAX_COURSES];
while (fscanf(...... ) ) { }

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.