Sign in to follow this  

Lumber

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Question for games involving logs. Is it possible for a man to pick up a log about 5 feet in length and 12 inches and diameter? If so, do you think it wlll float? I've been looking on the net all day and can't seem to find a related answer and I'm a bit to far away from the woods to do some on-field research. This question aplies to dead, live, and hollow lumber! : D

I would say a fit man probably could, though don't expect him to do it for very long. This assumes a recently fallen timber. I bet it would weight like 200 pounds.

As to whether or not it would float, all wood (at least all the kinds I'm familiar with) floats unless its water logged, which would happen if its been in a river for a while. I doubt anyone is going to be picking up a water logged piece of wood 12 inches in diameter.

If the wood has been rotting for a while, it probably means it won't float either. The water content will be too high.

Dry wood on the other hand is very light. You wouldn't have too much trouble moving a dessicated log 5 feet long and 12 wide around.

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/ShirleyLam.shtml

^^ has interseting charts of densities of various kind of wood
(though is probaby dried wood..)

Balsa can be 1/7 - 1/9th density of water (floats real good)

to Ironwood weighing as much as a third more than water.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm

You can probably find more by Googling 'wood density'

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.