• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Poker Champion

[web] Resolution?

This topic is 4349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi - was reading somewhere that you should do web development in a certain screen resolution so that when deployed all users can view your website correctly. What is the best resolution to develope in? Thanks for your time.

Advertisement
The best screen resolution is all of them. Make your webpages sizable so it doesn't matter which screen resolution the user is using.

Fixed-resolution websites make me angry!

In reality, chances are you won't be able to get *every* resolution (in particular, those that handheld devices may use, such as 320x240 or similiar), but if you can support all resolutions 640x480 and higher, you're pretty much golden. Even 800x600 or higher would be good.

If you design your sites to look best at 1024x768 and make sure they are still usable at 800x600, you'll make most people happy. But you should know your audience. Technical audiences are more likely to use higher resolutions. People who are older or have outdated computers (or portables) tend to use smaller resolutions.

Quote:
Original post by konForce
If you design your sites to look best at 1024x768 and make sure they are still usable at 800x600, you'll make most people happy.
No, you'll just piss off the people at 1600x1200+ running a maximized browser, for whom your site takes a tiny sliver of their screen.

On the other hand, i'm one of those 1600x1200 users and i can say that i sometimes wish sites had a fixed width. The problem is that the text is often small (especially if programmed in pixels and not points), but worse, it is hard for the eye to track text from one line to another. The distance between the end of one line and the beginning of another is about 16" on my monitor for websites that use the full space. For that reason i've taken to adding a pretty good percentage-based side margin on my site layouts lately.

Another gotcha is that a lot of image-heavy CSS-based layouts rely on fixed-widths and pixel perfection. It's difficult to have a glitzy looking CSS layout without puting in hard-coded widths.

Okay - thanks for your replies, so the answer is to make your website dynamically adjustable to all resolutions. I know that CSS is used to make fluid layouts, but I am not to clued up on this area of resolution. Is CSS used to make website usable on any resolution, or is there another method for doing this? Also can you please point me to any material that might help me out with this area.

Thanks

Quote:
Original post by Poker Champion
Is CSS used to make website usable on any resolution, or is there another method for doing this?
Using XHTML and CSS is good because it allows you to seperate design from content. Take a look at CSS Zen Garden, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Yeah, and if possible test your web page with different resolutions. Most pages are really unreadable as soon as you try to look at them on a 24" monitor with 1920 pixels as every paragraph becomes a single line and it looks really terrible.

A good idea is to use relative sizes everywhere so people can increase the font size without breaking the layout.

Quote:
Original post by Poker Champion
Okay - thanks for your replies, so the answer is to make your website dynamically adjustable to all resolutions. I know that CSS is used to make fluid layouts, but I am not to clued up on this area of resolution. Is CSS used to make website usable on any resolution, or is there another method for doing this? Also can you please point me to any material that might help me out with this area.

Thanks

If you use Firefox in your development (and you should, as well as IE), the Web Developer extension has a resize option. I use this many times when seeing how my sites look on different resolutions. You can also add your own sizes so that you have a broad range of sizes. I have 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x768, 1280x1024, and 1440x900, which are probably the most commonly used resolutions. There's also 1680x1050 (my monitor's resolution) and 1600x1200 (and other derivatives of 1600x).

A Web Developer extension for IE has the same features as the one in FF, except it has no icons (and it's beta and crashed my IE, something that hasn't happened in a very long time).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!