The future of C++

Started by
67 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 6 months ago
For our purposes, C++ is not great. As a systems programming language it's amazing, being about as high level as you can get while still being able to make an accurate guess as to the assembly instructions it's going to spit out. However for systems as complex as computer games, it's a bit lacking. Once you've successfully programmed in higher level languages like Python that make life so much more productive, the only thing that would make you go back to C++ is the performance guarantee.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Karadok
No, it doesn`t. Only a lot of bad programers using it.

If the majority really are that bad then you ask yourself why...

Quote:Original post by Promit
SML, Ocaml, and Haskell are so far out of the mainstream and people's normal experience that they'll never see any kind of penetration.

This is really just an over exaggeration, yes it's true they are not "penetrating" mass majority but there not that far removed.

They have (and are) been successfully used some in real (commercial) projects and lets not forget how much they are starting to influnce mass majority languages like C#, guess where the LINQ stuff derives from...

Anyways going back to the topic of "The future of C++", regardless of the games industry and regardless what I or anyone else thinks about the language.

C++ is still evolving I mean the next standard revision (which is a relatively major evolution) is around the corner so in the end what ever happens C++ has some kind of future, what ever it may be....
Quote:Original post by Karadok
Quote:Original post by Promit

Honestly, we're in a tight spot. People know full well that C++ sucks and we need something better.

No, it doesn`t. Only a lot of bad programers using it.

Well, there are also a large number of good programmers who are using it, and the consensus is that C++ is more or less a PITA. Promit just said it with his own words [smile] (aka: you can't blame only the people; sometimes, the tool is the problem).
jpetrie: I don't know if you've ever developped on an xbox vs a ps2, psp but the xbox wins easily in terms of being incredibly easy to work with/debug.
Quote:Original post by Aldacron
Two or three years ago I read a post by one of the GarageGames crew bashing C# as a game development language. Now, he and the other GG guys are promoting their upcoming TorqueX engine, developed in C#.

I noticed that as well because I had two people from GG explicitly tell me that C# was a garbage language and not going anywhere and that it was a waste of time. Looks like 3-4 years later it finally 'clicked' for them.
Or they just figured it was an easy way to make more money? GG seems to be mostly about getting clueless people to buy their stuff ;)
Quote:
jpetrie: I don't know if you've ever developped on an xbox vs a ps2, psp but the xbox wins easily in terms of being incredibly easy to work with/debug.

I'm not sure how this relates to my prior statements, which have nothing to do with how easy development is on a particular platform. My use of "best" was to carry the same (vague, amorphous) connotation of the word "best" that the poster I was quoting had.

Ease of development, unfortunately, is rarely the driving factor in decisions like those.
What's the future of the manual screwdriver, now that we have electric ones? It's the same.
_______________The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one''s balance after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit. - Mayar, Third Keeper
in the medium term 'a lot' of games will be developed in some flash/shockwave like language (3-5 years)
in the long term it will be done in english

remember im the guy who said years ago that cpu + gpu will become unified, + everyone said no youre crazy (moot point), fast forward to 2006
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
remember im the guy who said years ago that cpu + gpu will become unified, + everyone said no youre crazy (moot point), fast forward to 2006
They're still separate. What's your point?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement