Sign in to follow this  

Skinned meshes with the fixed function pipeline

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was reading this articles (http://www.moon-labs.com/resources/d3dx_skinnedmesh.pdf) about skinned mesh animation and it uses a vertex shader for the vertex blending, but I want to use fixed function pipeline only for the moment (I don't want to learn shaders, yet because I have enough new stuff at the moment). So I found, that the fixed function pipeline has some capabilities to use vertex blending, but I could not find a good resource which explains how to do it. And how I can use them with meshes stores in ID3DXMesh'es loaded from X-files (probably you can guess by now, that I'm really new to meshes, x-files and vertex blending and everything of this stuff)? The blending weights and everything are included in the x-file (I'm using the tiny.x from the sdk). I hope you can help me :-) Thank you!

"Vertex Tweening" and matrix palette skinning were possible in the fixed function. I wrote a simple sample of it using D3D8 and VB6 many years ago: here if you're interested.

Running a quick search pulled up:
Using Vertex Tweening for Animation
Implementing Skin Meshes with DirectX 8

Don't be put off by D3D8 resources - the FF is pretty much static (or dead) now so you can roll back to previous versions for tutorials without too much difficulty. I highly recommend you jump on the shader bandwagon ASAP though [wink]

hth
Jack

Today I had finally the time to dig into the articles and it is as I feared: using the FF is much harder than just using a shader. But I'll have to do it the hard way, at least for now.

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.