Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Which IDE Do You Use?

This topic is 4097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm mainly wondering in terms of game programming (i.e. not much Windows GUI programming) which IDE do you use? I used to program in C# quite heavily using VS.NET 2003. But I've been out of the loop for a little while and I'm trying to get back into it. I've used/seen SharpDevelope, but it seems a bit crude after being spoiled by VS. Also, I used do mainly GUI programming for windows apps so VS.NET had exactly what I need. Right now I'm looking for an IDE that is a little less weight than VS.NET. I don't really need all the forms designers and stuff, while they're a plus I don't really need them. I was just wondering what the common IDE's in use are right now. Thanks.

VS 2005 here. (Be prepared to hear that a lot in this thread.)

As for Linux development, MonoDevelop. OSX development, text editor and an eterm session. Needless to say, the OSX development is less fun.

Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition. You really can't get much better than that. To me, not using a program because it has too many features is a little rediculous, but I hear that thrown around alot when talking about Visual Studio's faults.

It seems to me that it is kind of nice to have everything in one package, instead of having to install and maintain several different programs.
You really can't top the interface, debugger, compiler, and editor features.

VS2005 Pro. With one change:

Go into text editor options, and under all languages disable the navigation bar. Fixing one little bug, making text entry much faster with large projects [smile] If it wasn't fixable I'd be using something else.

Yeah, I'm not that supprised to see a lot of VS 2005. I just tried #Develop 2.0 yesterday after making this post. I must say, I was really impressed. It was nothing like I remembered...granted if there weren't any changes from 0.9 to 2.0 something would be really wrong :P
While I'm on my slow laptop, I must say that SharpDevelop is my IDE of choice.

Visual Studio 2005 Professional at home, and Visual C++ Express 2005 at work. Yeah, it sounds odd, but I actually reformat my machine often at work and only need a good text editor + debugger.

I wounder if VS 2005 has a good performance. I remember some time ago I tried the Beta 1 and it was really heavy, using 400Mb+ of memory and frequently consuming 100% CPU time under normal operation.

I use Code::Blocks for C/C++ because it's really light and clean. I don't think don't know if it supports C#.

It depends on the project/language I'm working on at the time:

Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite

Borland Delphi 7 (IMO Delphi became a VS clone after this version, and Delphi.NET doesn't really offer advantages over C#. For Win32 development though Delphi 7 is still fantastic)

Crimson Editor (for classic ASP and some HTML)

Access 2000 & Access 2003 (for Access development/maintence, what else?)

Does Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio count as an IDE? (I'm using it right now)

Mixture:

PC Windows: VS .NET 2003 pro. (if only because fiddling with Source Engine stuff requires it for compatibility issues)
Otherwise, VS .NET 2005 standard. (C++, C# -- I don't use VB).

PC Linux: Eclipse -- with CDT :)

Mac (I have a powerbook): Xcode -- not much choice here :)

Java: -- so both PC, Mac & Linux -- Eclipse. It may take a bit to load up -- but it works a charm once it's up.

~Shiny.

Visual Studio 2005 Pro at work, otherwise the Express Editions of it. I tried Sharp Develop, and it was really nice..but when you can use Visual C# Express Edition for free, I don't see the need to ever use Sharp Develop for windows development.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion and feel..whatever you like better.

Quote:
Original post by RaptorZero
I wounder if VS 2005 has a good performance. I remember some time ago I tried the Beta 1 and it was really heavy, using 400Mb+ of memory and frequently consuming 100% CPU time under normal operation.

I use Code::Blocks for C/C++ because it's really light and clean. I don't think don't know if it supports C#.
Beta 1 is ancient. Final release VS 2005 rarely takes up more than 100MB of memory for me; you should give it a try.

This topic is 4097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.