Sign in to follow this  

This is driving me mad... Help plz...!!!

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys... I am really getting mad behind this... hope some1 can help... I am drawing a sky, with clouds ( billboarded textures ) and 2 stratus layers ( non billboarded textures )... and of course the ground and all objects on it, a lot more of clouds and stratus items... well, happens this... I look at ground, with half sky and clouds... FPS=76.... then I start looking at sky, just a cleared blue surface, with clouds and stratus... FPS=76.... then, suddently, I look just at Stratus layer, few textured surfaces( 3 or 4 and mostly just 1 squared item ) or just one, and FPS drops to 38.... I tested, and time is lost in the EndScene call... it's from DX, I can not do nothing with it... code is running fine, I have checked, such single texture got everything fine, from coords to TU/TV... but get this FPS Drop... I know it'ìs covering almost all display area, but, if I look at full display ground and it's objects on it, I still get a nice 76 FPS... can anybody explain me this...? tnx Alex

Tnx Vilio...
I thought about this, stressing the VCard...
the nice is that if I go down with resolution, nothing changes...I got same problem in 1280x960 and 1024x768 vith same view angle... in later resoultion the Fill rate should change... more, I think the fill rate problem should 'rise smoothly'... I mean, the more u r out of the limit in the view, the more fps drops... instead here, just a change of about 1 degree in view angle, and FPS drops suddently from 76 to 38... ur link is quite nice, and give me a clue about alpha as u said... but then another doubt arise... I have a version of this same feature in which polys are drawn on the fly, I mean, u find it, u draw it with no caching or sorting, less efficient... and it got not the same problem... seems the problem arises if I make a single cached draw with Stratus...

PantherBoy... I am already profiling this, that's why I can tell the problem is in the EndScene Call... however tnx...

tnx all of u...

Alex

Sounds like you've got vsync enabled, and so as soon as you can't keep up with 76 (each monitor refresh), it drops to 38 (every second refresh).

Change you present params presentation interval (the struct you pass to CreateDevice) to IMMEDIATE.

d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;

If that doesn't fix it, check your graphics card setup (right click desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced. On my GeForce 3 it's then under "GeForce 3" tab, then performance and quality settings, then in the settings/value list, look for vertical sync. Change it to application controlled.

Tnx to all guys...
found the problem... both of u were on the right way...
Modellers made the overcast radius for each cell larger than the cell itself ( usual problem, radius is not diameter...he..he. ).. so got a lot of stratus cells in the sky overlapping, and I think I was falling both in the Fill Rate and VSync time dominium....

sorry for this easy fix post...

Alex

This topic is 4108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.