Sign in to follow this  

visual C++ 2005

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have downloaded visual C++ studio 2005 Express edition, and Ive have be having some trouble with it. I am new to programing and I was wondering if somone could give be a guide/tutorial to visual C++. I was just looking to try to make a little 2D game. So if somone could help me you the would be nice, and you would have my thanks.

It is a little hard to help you with so few details. For example, how new to programming are you? If you are only just starting a 2D game would be too hard and you should practise with a simple console first. If you already got the basics down however you might want to look into SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) which lets you draw 2D graphics. Note however that you shouldn't start with SDL before you have a reasonable understanding of C++.

Well I'm really new to programing Ive been looking into it for a while now but I don't have a grasp on coding or anything. I'm trying to teach my self which is a bit hard, but i'm giveing a hour a day on it and like 3 hours on the weekend. But if you have a good Startiong ouy program or guide that would be good, somthing that takes you step by step.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ is a good C++ tutorial. It should help you grasp most things in C++. Seeing as you want to make games I'd advise you to not only limit yourself to copying their examples, but make games with the knowledge you gained. It's very well possible to create simple games like tic tac toe in a console, or even text based RPGs. It'll help you getting a feel for designing games as well as add some fun while learning C++.
I wouldn't start with 2D graphics yet though because C++ doesn't 'include' graphics itself. You have to learn APIs like aforementioned SDL in order to get going with graphics and it's generally not advisable to start learning APIs before you know a language good enough.

This topic is 4109 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.