Culling Modes

Started by
3 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 17 years, 7 months ago
I was just curious if anyone sets there culling mode to D3DCULL_NONE? Also I was woundering does this setting, D3DCULL_NONE, have any effect on the speed of the game, or the appearence of the game? Also are the cull modes settings to be used to your personal perference? Thanks ahead of time for the replies. Edit: I understand what backface culling does and why its helpful, I guess I should restate my question, do any of the culling settings effect the performence of how the triangles are render and how fast they are rendered.
Advertisement
CW or CCW should be set depending on how your art is made, possibly changing it on purpose for some effects. Setting NONE is useful for things like grass, leaves, etc that you want viewable from both sides (though the lighting will only be from one side. If you want accurate lighting you'll need culling and duplicate geometry facing the opposite direction).

Leaving culling set to none all the time would work, but does incur a performance hit.

Half the time, you'll just happen to draw the front of your object first, then the back will be Z rejected. Per pixel Z rejection is slower than per poly culling.

The other half the time, you'll draw the back of your object first, then draw the front over top of it, effectively doubling your fillrate cost with absolutely no visual difference.

As most games are fillrate limited, and both cases cost extra in term of fill, leaving culling set to none is a bad idea.
Thank you for that, that was exactly what I was wanting. I turned culling back on to CCW. I don't remember but what is culling set to by default.
Quote:Original post by LostSource
I don't remember but what is culling set to by default.
An old but respected physics teacher of mine told me: "to assume makes an ass out of you and me.".

Joke aside - don't assume [wink]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Original post by LostSource
I don't remember but what is culling set to by default.
An old but respected physics teacher of mine told me: "to assume makes an ass out of you and me.".
Wow. Benny Hill was your physics teacher? [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement