Sign in to follow this  

[java] Singleton pattern

This topic is 4105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo! I am programming in java and I have to make sure that only one instance of a class is created. This instance should also be used by other classes. I am trying to use singleton but, it is not working.... This is how i want to get hold of my con: con c = new con.getTheOne_con(); but it's not correct because when I compile it I get that it can't be resolved to a type In my con class: private static con one_con = null; private con() { counter = counter +1; System.out.println("con created: "+ counter); } public static synchronized con getTheOne_con() { if(one_con == null) { one_con = new con(); } return one_con; } please help.....

Quote:
Original post by moth_wannaKnow
Hallo!

I am programming in java and I have to make sure that only one instance of a class is created. This instance should also be used by other classes. I am trying to use singleton but, it is not working....

This is how i want to get hold of my con:
con c = new con.getTheOne_con();

Hint, think about what the emphisized line is TRYING to do...

I'd say your problem is that "new", you're trying to new a return value which isn't exactly what new is for so that's why it's not working (you can only new types) - and really counterintiutive when you're using Singletons (only one instance is allowed yet you're trying to make a new one?).

So, just remove the new:
con c = con.getTheOne_con();

This topic is 4105 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.