Can GameInstitute be trusted?

Started by
4 comments, last by Gaiiden 17 years, 7 months ago
I just wanna know so i dont get scamed they look pro but i just wanna make sure. And dose anyone know how it works like completely.
Advertisement
I'm not 100% sure, but from the looks of their site, and the people working there (Andre LaMothe :) ) it seems to be a pretty good place to go for learning some game programming basics. You can't expect them to teach you every aspect of every game ever, and they don't promise some sort of actual degree (just a "certificate of achievement", if you really want one).

Honestly, I am seriously considering trying them out, but if I were you, I'd just go ahead and try one of their courses, see how you like it, and then ask yourself if the amount you paid, for the knowledge you gained was worth it.

I'd imagine it would be.
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
LoL, if they give out degree's and i finished there corse i would probly be the first 14 year old with a game degree XD
By the way, you can view demo's of their course, which I am sure is exactly how it works. I've seen the demo's and they look pretty sweet!
"I'd rather know one thing, no matter how ordinary, than discourse endlessly on great issues." -- Galileo
I took 4 courses with GI, starting shortly after they launched a few years ago. It's a legitimate operation and they aren't going to scam you. They have overhauled their system since then, so I don't know exactly how it all works now. But it appears to have more functionality now. I still log in from time to time and all of the materials from my old courses are still available even though the courses themselves are different now.
Hey guys -

Yes we're quite legit [smile] If you have any specific questions about the site you can PM me or post them here. You can also check out our Knowledge Base, which will help to answer a lot of your basic general questions

The earning of a degree through us can be pretty confusing, so I'm going to outline that right here. Basically what happens is you enroll through one of our affiliated colleges (sorry lordcorm - you would have to match the enrollment requirements of the college, not us) and take our courses for credit, which are then stored in a credit bank you can use towards a degree. You pass courses by taking exams at proctored locations around the country, including some in Canada and the UK.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement