Unreal Engine 3...

Started by
7 comments, last by LeGreg 17 years, 7 months ago
Just out of curosity, what is the benefit of UnReal Engine 3? It looks cool from their website but isn't that just a bunch of fancy modeling/artistic work? Rather then the programming side of things. It seems to be the golden engine, but I was just wondering seeing as I'll never get a chance to own it :( what someone else thought of it.
Advertisement
Tools tools tools tools! Look into Unreal Script, Kistmet, the unreal level editor (forgot what it's called) and others. Epic has a huge library of tools they've built to support the engine and make it far FAR easier for developers to generate all those fancy art resources and levels.

For more of a complete (and technical) overview, check here:
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
And not to mention that the previous version was used in Unreal 2004, THE greatest game ever.

[Edited by - bennyW on September 17, 2006 3:59:15 PM]
Having used it for a while now, I'd say that from an art/tools perspective it's a pretty good package. That said however, I don't know anyone on the programming team who actually enjoys working with it i.e. trying to extend the engine. It seems vastly over engineered, and architected in such a way that every object is so heavyweight that I doubt its suitablity for xbox 360 (we've certainly had scale back lots of our stuff). The asset pipeline is also woeful.

Thats pretty much my assesment of it. It has a very slick, easy to use toolset, that artists and designers love, lets you put demo levels together incredibly quickly.

But once you dig a little deeper into UE3 the tech is a mess. And it certainly NOT a suitable engine for console development.

Personally it was an eye-opener for me just how far a decent toolset will get you, regardless of how flaky the tech underneath is. Though to be fair it is a primarily a PC engine that got ported to consoles, which is never going to work particularly well.
What are the graphical technologies that make it look better than most other engines?
Artist 1st - Programmer 2nd(I'll get some material linked here sometime to support these claims, haha)
Read the provided links. Honestly quite a few peope in the industry can do the same graphics. Tools are what people are after now-a-days.
Quote:Original post by etsuja
What are the graphical technologies that make it look better than most other engines?

There is nothing particularly cutting edge about the tech. It supports alot of the current "next gen" buzzwords: HDR, per-pixel lighting, soft shadow buffers, and has a nice shader authoring tool (for PC at least, trying to use them efficently on consoles is a nightmare).
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
But once you dig a little deeper into UE3 the tech is a mess. And it certainly NOT a suitable engine for console development.

At the same time Epic has a strong incentive to make it work, given they develop their own (high profile) games with it.

But I guess they're probably having the same problems internally..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement