Ultimate Frisbee - Laying out

Started by
11 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Katta
I have to disagree Andre. Oftentimes a dive will score you a catch that otherwise you would have not made because, if done properly, a layout is faster than simply running. You're using both the full jumping power of your legs as well as gravity to increase your speed. Not to mention sometimes it's really hard to catch a Frisbee that's three inches off the turf while running full tilt. The layout gets you closer to the ground while maintaining your current speed.

Hmmm, I donno. Mayyyyybe.

But last time I checked, gravity only increases your speed in one direction: down.

And If the 'full jumping power of your legs' is faster than running, then why doesnt everyone jump accross the field, instead of running accross it? Running is faster.

I guess if the disk is really low to the ground then laying out might be a good idea... but personally I think I would prefer to keep running, and then bend down and snatch the disk, rather than laying out. I am positive its faster.

I still admit that laying out looks cool but I dont know about the practicality of it. I think its like sliding in baseball - there may be a reason to do it (for eg avoiding another player), but the reason isnt speed.
Advertisement
from a physics stand point, gives your center of gravity a small, short burst of speed, that you very quickly lose when you land on the ground (that's why you don't jump down the field). However, because you are altering your body's orientation, the speed of your hand relative to your center of gravity actually increases quite a bit.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Ok sure I guess I can buy that.

But I must say, out of all the layouts Ive seen, Im not convinced any of them were necessary. By 'necessary' I mean that by laying out, the person caught the disk, whereas if he/she didnt lay out, theres no way they could have caught it.

If anyone finds some cool relevant videos on googlevid, please post em!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement