what joystick to buy?

Started by
8 comments, last by krez 17 years, 7 months ago
im looking at adding joystick support to my game, now i dont own one but will like to buy the most common type that most ppl have at home, i assume this is something like the ps2 dual stick controller. Q/ is this correct or are the single stick ones still the most popular?
Advertisement
Get a Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. I've been absolutely loving mine....
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
For a general controller, I'd go for the common/360 controller too - as XNA and Vista take off, I suspect its popularity (and support) will grow.

As for "what's the most common type of controller out there now", I don't think there's a single useful answer:

- most pre-built 'gaming' PCs come with either a cheap joypad or joystick thrown in, but how often they get used for gaming is a different matter. Something like the Logitech joypads are quite common.

- the most popular PC game genres are [currently] mouse & keyboard based.

- IMO someone who goes out and buys a new PC controller is probably buying it to play a specific game or genre of game - such as a steering wheel for driving games or a joystick with tons of buttons for flight sims.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

ok done a bit more research + it seems joypads also have sticks on them as well,
joysticks just have the one big stick
I think ill get this one
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=6951
im wanting one with 2 sticks, as that suits my game.
my only complaint with this is it looks a bit fat (the two side handles)
I must recommend the Saitek pads. P2500 for the wired, P3000 for wireless.. or the P2900 if you can actually get a hold of one. I used one for a while as I was planning on reviewing it, but the job was moved to somebody else who decided to crap out completely, and it was awesome.

The Logitech pad feels pretty much exactly like a PS2 controller (test one out in an electronics store) if you're really set on it. The Saiteks are a bit wider/thicker, but still very comfortable.

Check the user reviews, rather than the dedicated website reviews. You'll get more results, even if they are subjective -- but atleast you'll be able to get an impression of its reliability. I say this because I haven't been reading good things about the Logitech pad(s). They seem to lose calibration/accuracy after a month or more which somehow becomes permanent. After that, the pad is useless. I do not know if there has been a hardware update.
Quote:Original post by sordid
The Logitech pad feels pretty much exactly like a PS2 controller

Or you can just use the real deal.

Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
Get a Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. I've been absolutely loving mine....
I seriously don't understand how anybody can use those things. They are just so fat and awkward feeling.
Quote:Original post by Grain
I seriously don't understand how anybody can use those things. They are just so fat and awkward feeling.

Wow, I'm of the opinion that its the most comfortable controller I've ever held :-) closely followed up by the ps2 controller.

are you sure you're not thinking of the first xbox's controller (which was fat and awkward)?

Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
Quote:Original post by joelmartinez
Quote:Original post by Grain

Wow, I'm of the opinion that its the most comfortable controller I've ever held :-) closely followed up by the ps2 controller.

are you sure you're not thinking of the first xbox's controller (which was fat and awkward)?
Yes the original xbox controller was, but IMO the 360's is even more so. Maybe not more fat, but more awkward.

IMO the PS2's is the ultimate in controller design, although GameCubes's IS slightly more comfortable. But that doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons, and the joy stick doesn't feel as precise. So that puts it behind the PS2 in overall score.
I just bought a $10 USB joypad from a pawn shop and a $40 Wingman Rumblepad and attempt to support those devices with remappable input, because there's tons of different joypads out there and none of them seem to have a consistent axis mapping. [flaming]
i still use my original xbox controller on my PC, even though I already sold my xbox and the rest of the stuff. it is large, but i do not get hand cramps from using it no matter how long I play :)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement