Sign in to follow this  

College

This topic is 4091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I've searched around a bit and this seems to be the only place suitable) So, soon I will be off to college (hopefully) in an attempt to broaden my skillset in the hopes that I will land a job. Currently, I've been a level designer for three years. I had not planned to go to college, as it did not seem as important with my aspirations (compared to a programmer, anyway), however I have seen that I may benefit from it. So, my question is, what would be a reccomended school/course for an aspiring level designer? I've been thinking about Full Sail, although others have said that it is not ideal if you wish to acquire a degree in Art. Currently I do not have a background in art (I have just started creating textures and models, and I do not draw very well), so I am wondering if this will affect me in any way. Digipen is the ideal school, however it is also a very prestigous school within the industry, so I do not expect to get in. So, all in all, any suggestions? Is college even necessary with my aim? I know college is always great, regardless of the job you want, however debt is also a big issue. (Once again, sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Do NOT go to Full Sail or Art Institute if you are really planning on entering the game industry. I go to the Savannah College of Art and Design, which has a highly acclaimed game design major, and so far I'm really enjoying it. The schools that advertise game design on TV usually just plop you down in front of a computer and are like "Make a game and get an A" without actually discussing the intricacies of game design itself, so you're not actually getting an education in it. I'd look into SCAD or other actual colleges with game design. I heard Boston University has a new game design major, and I'm from Boston so I know for a fact that the city is great so that's an advantage at least. What it boils down to is this: do some research and find the school that's right for you. Never settle for the minimum, especially if you really want to get into the business.

Thanks for the reply.

The Savannah College of Art was actually on my list. I've looked over it thoroughly and it's definitely up there.

I appreciate the reply, anyone with other suggestions feel free to post.

While I'm no expert in educations (and I don't live in the USA anyway), I have seen various level-designers over the years getting a job by simply building a reputation throughout the various modding communities. They were very active, often had participated in various mod teams, and while the mods often didn't make it, their portfolio, experience and contact lists got thicker and thicker.

Education is a good thing, just don't forget about the other informal canals. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the replies.

I know the colleges on TV aren't the way to go, however I didn't think Full Sail was one of those. I knew the way their program worked, but people from the programming areas spoke highly of the school. Although I haven't heared from anyone in other areas of the curriculum.

Also, Captain P, that was my original intention, however I recently decided against the idea of going straight from highschool to the industry and decided to go to college.

I actually went to an open house at Full Sail. It seems like a very good school. However, their program seems rushed as you get your degree in only 2 years. Its probably better to got to a 3-4 year college.

Hey MJohnson,
I'm not sure I completely understand from your post whether it is your aspiration to become a programmer, a level designer, or an artist, but I will say that in today's world if your desire is to work in the gaming industry wou will definately need some sort of college education, unless you have an awesome demo reel to show to potential employers.

I'm not quite sure what Magic Card's problem is with Full Sail, but as a student who has been to both a prestigious 4-yr technical school (Georgia Tech) and currently enrolled at and almost finished with Full Sail, I will say that it is an excellent school, but only if you have the dedication and ambition to learn, work hard, and get through everything at an advanced pace. If your goal is more art oriented, doing things such as modelling and texturing, you may want to take a look at the Art department.

If you want to do game "design," then I will say that Full Sail may not offer all that you are looking for. However, if you want to learn the specifics of designing and programming (with a heavy emphasis on programming) a game from the ground up, this school has quite a bit to offer. The majority of the Game Design (I believe the changed the name to Game Development) program focuses on programming, starting with teaching the basics of C++, moving on to basic Win32 programming, DirectX, OpenGL, some machine architecture, and various other topics. I myself came with prior knowledge of programming and game design, but many here come barely able to use a computer, and those who are dedicated and willing to learn generally make it through with no problem.

As far as debt goes, I won't lie. Full Sail is expensive. If you don't already live in FL, you can expect to need somewhere on the order of $75k to cover both tuition and general living expenses (apartment, etc). While this is a lot of money, it is no where near as horrible as it sounds, even if you have to take it all out as a loan as I did. If you compare that cost with the cost of a decent 4yr college (Georgia Tech cost me somewhere on the order of $20k/yr for a total of $80k, and it's almost 50% more for an out of state student) the cost is quite decent, especially considering that you not only come out with a bachelor's degre, but also at least two decent game demos which you can use to aid you in finding a job, along with whatever else you do while you're here.

Anyhow, that's simply my two cents. Whatever you decide to do, be sure that it follows your dreams and that you're happy doing it. There are some excellent 4yr colleges out there as well as faster institutions. If art and design is definately something you desire to do more, then definately look around and find somewhere great. If it's for programming, all I can offer is my experience and say that Full Sail is an excellent school for learning a lot in a small amount of time.

This topic is 4091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.