Sign in to follow this  

Protecting Videos And Pdfs, some general questions

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can you guys suggest any way to tie a video down to one machine only? Ideally within an ecnrypted format? and also watermarked? For my job, I've been asked if this is possible, so I'm just trying to get an idea for the various methods possible. It's fine if you can't go into detail, just a pointer onto the right track would be great. Like is it even possible? Can it be done in code? Are there any rights management apis I can use in C++/C# etc? The videos in question are part of a sold programming course, so it's vital that the student can't simply upload them all to <INSERT WAREZ SITE> and let everyone have them for free. Thanks for any help you can give.

Quote:
Original post by AntonyCoder
Can you guys suggest any way to tie a video down to one machine only?
Ideally within an ecnrypted format? and also watermarked?

Protecting data on the users' machine is the point of DRM (digital rights management). You might want to look into that.

Quote:
Like is it even possible? Can it be done in code? Are there any rights management apis I can use in C++/C# etc?
Microsoft provides some, for a fee.

Quote:
The videos in question are part of a sold programming course, so it's vital that the student can't simply upload them all to <INSERT WAREZ SITE> and let everyone have them for free.

You can also make it so they can, but won't. For instance, include personal information about them in the distributed file (a bill page with name, address and credit card information, a "licensed to:" watermark on every page). The reason why nobody gives away free accounts on MMORPGs is that anyone who logs into said account can take full ownership of it. If one has to create an account on your web site, and account information is made part of the distributed file, then the account will be corrupted if someone distributes its specific data.

Yep Windows DRM seems to be the way to go.

So far, I have the sdk(WMEncoder 9 series) set up and working under VC# 2005, but I'm a little confused about something.

How do I produce the licenses for a file protected with drm? IT says I can tie them down to a single machine, which is exactly what we need.
It says I need a vendor. Can the vendor be the guys I'm working for, or will they need to get each video certified themself by an official ms license vendor etc?
Any information you have on this process would be great. Even better if you have prices so I can quote it to my bosses to help them decide.

As for just encoding bill stuff etc, afraid it's not my call, I'm just a coder on this. But doesn't hurt to suggest it.

The MAC address from the machine's network card is about as universally unique as you can get. You could base it on that if you like.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've got my heart set on DRM after reading about how secure it is, plus it offers watermarking which the man wants too.

So my only question is, how do I produce a license tied down to a users machine?
What kind of infrastructure do we need to set up?

Anyone done this before around here?

Did some googling and seems I need to license the Windows Rights Management SDK, which may be a problem.

Are there are no freeware DRM schemes/sdks in existence? I find it hard to believe Microsoft are the only company that provide this service, but I can't find any others on google.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i really don't know a big deal about microsoft DRM but - in the vague bits i remember - there is a server side to ms DRM. maybe you are supposed to run a licensing server which is - maybe again - part of windows media server.
again, i'm not sure about this.

Quote:
Did some googling and seems I need to license the Windows Rights Management SDK, which may be a problem.

Are there are no freeware DRM schemes/sdks in existence? I find it hard to believe Microsoft are the only company that provide this service, but I can't find any others on google.

DReaM is an open source DRM system by Sun, but unfortunately I can't find many information on the intarweb. sf.net is hosting some other projects, but none of them is really viable. OGG-S is an open-source DRMised version of OGG - you might be able to take some source from there.

Although you need to be warned: no DRMised file format can be read by an application unless the application knows it. You can't just encrypt a PDF using your own algorithm and hope it will work (but then you can still protect PDF is you use the Adobe tools). Music and videos are easier to protect (because they are expected to be protected, and media players know how to deal with this issue).

BTW, if you need to protect PDF, I suggest you to encrypt them and to modify an open-source PDF reader (non GPL - chose a zlib or bsd-like license) to be able to read them. Don't forget to protect them against printing (since it is fairly easy to get a pdf virtual printer).

Regards,

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Yep Windows DRM seems to be the way to go....
I appreciate the suggestion, but I've got my heart set on DRM after reading about how secure it is...

I have news for you, Windows DRM has been cracked!

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Yep Windows DRM seems to be the way to go....
I appreciate the suggestion, but I've got my heart set on DRM after reading about how secure it is...

I have news for you, Windows DRM has been cracked!

They've all been cracked. DRM will only stop users who aren't tech savvy.

This topic is 4106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.