windows.h file

Started by
3 comments, last by petelta 17 years, 7 months ago
I am doing alittle c++ programming and was reading up on changing the color of the text for a small project for practice. now I am required to have the windows.h header. I am using Visual C++ 2005 EE and saw that it doesn't include this header file. Now I was reading up on where to get it and saw that to update it you have to get the SDK blah blah or whatever which is like 400 mb. I have been having trouble with downloads and everything i download is corrupted. So I can't download this giganto set of files. Is there anything included in Visual where I can choose the libraries I want to update and download like there is with Dev C++. That way I could just download on another computer and transfer over or at least be able to download a small file. or am i going to need everything that comes with that SDK?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by petelta
I am doing alittle c++ programming and was reading up on changing the color of the text for a small project for practice. now I am required to have the windows.h header. I am using Visual C++ 2005 EE and saw that it doesn't include this header file. Now I was reading up on where to get it and saw that to update it you have to get the SDK blah blah or whatever which is like 400 mb.

Aye, it's a right out pain in the arse to get any Win32 access going with VC++ EE. You may be able to get all of the windows-related header files off of another download (like Dev-C++) and plop them in the proper directories, but I'm unsure of whether this will work.

The best route is certainly to download the Platform SDK, still. If you're getting corrupted downloads, try a download manager, which will usually prevent downloads from getting cut short (and thus appear corrupted). You may also be able to (painstakingly) order the Platform SDK in CD format from Microsoft for a small fee.

Good luck. [sad]
You don't technically need the entire Platform SDK, but separating out just the bits you need would be a prohibitive amount of work. It's really probably best to just download the whole thing someplace else, and burn it onto a CD or dump it on a USB drive.

I believe there may be a disc you can order directly from Microsoft, but IIRC it costs around $15-20.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

The Web Setup allows you to select only what you want. You should be able to get by with just the Core SDK (and even then, you probably don't need some of the tools or build environments).

jfl.
yea what I think I am just going to do is download on my roommates computer to a USB and then transfer over. I think Im having some problems with malware since everything ive downloaded lately has been corrupted.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement