Sign in to follow this  

New

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm reletivly new to making a game. I have made a small game in True basic bronze, but that was easy. I have also started to learn C++, but it is coming along slower than expected. I want to know what type of programs are found in some of the bigger games(nothing like Halo or Final Fantasy X, but games street fighter, the very first Final Fantasy, Earthworm Jim or Roger Wilco) and if you can get these programs for free (I don't have a whole lot of money). I really want to get into makeing video games, but I don't know how to really know where to start. I do know that I want to be able to program the games, but I also want to be able to do more than that. Any help would be great. Thanks.

First of all, if you feel like making games rather than learning to program, ditch C++. In fact, since this is your first language, I would recommend ditching C++ for now anyways. I'm working in python now, and have already started to program in a library called pygame. Python isn't the only language out there that is a better alternative to C++ though. Do some research and see what sounds interesting.

By the way, if you were to stick with C++, SDL is great for creating simple 2D games with tons of extra features. You can even use OpenGL (an API that enables you to display 3D graphics) if you feel like upgrading to 3D apps.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "type of programs are found in some of the bigger games". Do you mean editors for graphics and other assets, or do you mean how they use 2D or 3D effects?

If you have some knowledge of c++, you can use something like SDL to throw some images on the screen and get some input. You can make simple games such as pong or asteroids after a little learning with it. It isnt too difficult, there are nice tutorials like this one that can show you how to do some of the things you want to do...

There are languages between basic and c++ in terms of difficulty, c++ takes a lot of learning and getting used to its quirks and it doesnt improve the quality of your games anyway unless you are making a high-end game and you know what you are doing.

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.