Sign in to follow this  

Disadvantages of VMWare for cross-platform dev?

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I run linux and would like to install one or more flavors of Windows through VMWare (now that it's free). I would like to do cross-platform c++ development, but without the hassles of multiple PCs or dual-booting. Are there any disadvantages to a VMWare setup compared to a "real" install? I would like to be able to compile something and package it for distribution without actually having to *boot* into windows. Can this be done? Thanks for the input.

No driver support for OpenGL extensions in my testing, nor hardware rendering support of course.

Other than that, it's rock-solid and can be trusted for emulating "the real thing".

Quote:
Original post by taby
No driver support for OpenGL extensions in my testing, nor hardware rendering support of course.

No hardware support? Why not? I'm using OpenGL/SDL for my games dev. Are you saying i should expect 3fps?

VMWare emulates an SVGA card with vesa-framebuffer support, and no hardware transformation/lighting support whatsoever. It also isn't the quickest SVGA card on the block - so most things graphical are a little slow, and anything using OpenGL will be completely unaccelerated. If you install the VMWare drivers you get a little bit of 2D acceleration, making normal usage ok - but not a lot of help for games.

I believe Parallels is working on adding 3D acceleration to their virtualisation product. Apparently, so are VMWare. This thread indicates that you can get at least some 3D support:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=84344

(I haven't tried it yet)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by leiavoia
I run linux and would like to install one or more flavors of Windows through VMWare (now that it's free)...

I take it you mean vmware workstation; yet this is not free?
http://www.vmware.com/request_processor?nextPage=/vmwarestore/newstore/category.jsp&action=CATALOG.GETGROUPS&application=store&ProductGroupCodes=EXT-STORE-WKST-WIN,EXT-STORE-WKST-LX

Yeah, I use VMWare for testing, but for business/network application testing. Testing a graphical game in VMWare is not going to happen. With a beefy machine I was able to play back a VGA res good quality video in VMWare without much stutter (I was on 2000 at the time, and the video was the Windows XP/Media Player 9 DRM fest), but even that is showing that frequent screen updates are a slow operation, to say nothing of 3D rendering which has no hardware support in VMWare.

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.