Sign in to follow this  

Getting UML from Visio into Visual

This topic is 4103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This might be a basic question: So far I've been making UML models in Visio, and then when done creating it manually in Visual Studio (2005). I don't know why it never dawned on me before, but is there a way to export from Visio into Visual and it will generate the classes automatically? I've seen the reverse engineering option, but what about forward? I've been having trouble getting the info from help files or google, thanks!

As long as you aren't using C++.
What is Visual Studio Class Designer?

Visual Studio Class Designer lets you visualize the structure of classes and their relationships, create new classes using a visual design environment, and easily refactor classes. For more information, see:

* Visual Studio 2005 Class Designer
* Designing an API with the Visual Studio 2005 Class Designer
* Class Designer Team Blog

Which versions of Visual Studio will contain the new Class Designer?

Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition and above will contain Class Designer.
What languages does Class Designer support?

Class Designer supports C#, VB.NET, and J#. Class Designer in Visual Studio 2005 does not support C++, but is a top priority for the next release of Visual Studio.
How does Class Designer differ from Visio?

Visual Studio Class Designer lets you visualize the structure of classes and their relationships, create new classes using a visual design environment, and easily refactor classes. Changes made to the class diagram are immediately reflected in code, and changes made to the code immediately affect the appearance of the designer. This synchronous relationship between designer and code makes it easy to create and configure complex CLR types visually. Class Designer is useful for understanding existing code, class design, refactoring code, and creating documentation. Class Designer is integrated seamlessly with Visual Studio 2005 (Visual Studio Standard Edition and above) and is tailored to accommodate the .NET Framework and the CLR.
Can I import existing Visio, Rational Rose, or Rational XDE diagrams into the new Class Designer?

Yes, you can logically "import" existing UML class diagrams by first generating code from the diagrams and viewing that code via Class Designer.

This topic is 4103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.