Sign in to follow this  

New to the game

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As a designer, you will be writing alot, and conveying and communicating your ideas.
Learn proper grammar.
Learn proper spelling.
Learn how to write and speak with proper etiquette and communicate effectively.
The basics of being a game designer start with the basics of being a functional part of a team... that is, something approaching an intelligent social behaviour.
Before you worry about games, worry about your basic communication skills.

This brings up a good question for me though, I love to think up ideas for video games. I love to code also, but I may not be able to deal with the heavy math so I'm curious, what sort of majors/classes should I take to be a game designer? What is their main job? What other careers are open to someone with a degree for that?

tleisher; I think game-designers are people that knows alot; jack-of-all-trades. I belive people like that (inspirational, innovative, creative and so on) begin in one area, learn and moves on to the next. A good base though, if you want to get into the computer-industry, is to learn a programming-language. That way, your skills will not fall though if it comes to seeking other employment and you'll be able to communicate with the programmers. I'd also think reading and studying some arts (maybe not in school, but certainly at your local library) and maybe arcitecture could be good avenues that might lead to a design-job in the game-industry. Maybe even industrial or conceptual design could be something to look into.
These are just my huble opinions though, I'm not working in the industry myself. Here in Sweden there is a number of educations to become a "game-designer", often 3-4 years. Could be worth seeking out those educations as well, since institutions like that often has close connections with the real industry and it's good to hang around with people that think like yourself.

To the OP, so let us know about what directions you are interested in exploring, you'll get more help. Also the "For Beginners" section is a good place :).

Also, do you want to get into "Game Design" which in this field refers to the people who think up game ideas, develop them, formulate the mechanics (like the person who decided that in Risk the attackers gets up to 3 dice, not to exceed their current armies, and the defended gets a maximum of 2 dice, but wins ties ... and each turn a minium of 3 armies are earned ... etc ..). "Game Development" is the general umbrella under which all jobs fall ... including Game Design, Programming, Content Creation (Art / Sound), etc.

So are you looking to learn game programming, or game design.

If you are looking into game design, Computer Games, Board Games, Card Games, and Role Playing Games are all great sources of inspiration.

If you are looking into programming there are just as many paths as people. Personally I recommend something like ruby (http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/) or Python (PyGame is nice), C# or old school ANSI C (great for foundation).

Good luck to you.

This topic is 4104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.