Sign in to follow this  

Should I wait?

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been coding in PHP, Perl, and some C++ for a while now. I've read countless C++ books, and know the basics and enough of the language to understand and think logically. I'm currently 2 math classes from being able to enroll in Computer Science 1, which just teaches basic C++ and whatnot (CS 2 teaches Data Structures). I requested to be allowed to bypass the math requirement and enroll in CS 1 this next semester. The math I'm required to be passed is Trig, and I'm 1 class from getting into the class (that means 2 semesters before I can enroll in CS 1). My question is, do you think I should just wait until Im out of Trig before I attempt to get into CS 1 or should I Just enroll in CS 1 and I'll be fine? The CS 1 teacher that I spoke with said that anyone can program, Trig teaches logic and logic is the what makes a good programmer great. Now the thing is, I dont plan on NEVER taking the class, but if I take Comp Sci 1 now it would cut a year off my Jr College years and shoot me into my degree program faster. So do you think I should wait, or just try to enroll now and I'll be fine?

I think you should start in CS 1 ASAP. It is true that math in general gives you hard learned logic and problem solving skills, but for CS 1 you are going to be learning the basics of computer languages (probably a certain one), and you will not hardly need to know anything about trig unless you have a program assignment that just so happens to use a little bit of it. eg. calculating the length of a side of a triangle. Once you start getting in to upper level math classes is when you really start learning logic and problems solving skills for computer science in particular. (discrete math, combinatorics etc..)In my experience jumping into classes before taking the pre reqs has proved well worth it because it makes you work harder which will in turn make you retain more knowledge etc.

But ya, try to get into CS 1 asap.

-good luck

Do you think that someone whos 20 years old and just now starting college and is in Algebra isn't cut out for a Computer Science major? All my life I've loved computers, I can program websites and I understand how they work and how computers in general work. I love to code, but I'm not to good in math, thats part of the reason why I am doubing myself now about a career in computer programming, but what other computer careers are there other then web design, repair, server admining and game/software programming?

Well, it depends on what type of programming you are doing. If you want to program 3D games, then you will need to know a LOT of math. However, I'm sure that there are many other programming opportunities that don't require as much math, I just don't know exactly what they are :P.

If you like coding, stick with it. If you like something, chances are you will be good at it in some way, even though you may have to practice more than other people who find math extremely easy (like me :D).

C++ requires no prerequisite knowledge of trig or any other math as far as I know so you don't have to worry about it.
I think the only math related thing I had to do in my first computer language classes in college was write a program that would automatically solve the quadratic formula on a test or something like that but the formula was given to you so all you had to do was plug in numbers.
Fortran on the other hand is a different story since I rember just about every other program was about some math and converting degrees to radians so there is some trig there but I doubt they even teach Fortran anymore...
As far as I can tell being good at math or bad has no bearing on programming. I have known programmers that were very good but didn't know a lick of math and math professors that couldn't program a simple hello world program.
p.s.

Discrete math will help out alot though if you are taking a data structures class.

This topic is 4102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.